• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Morgan...Is there a particular date that lights your fire?

32 posts in this topic

Is there a particular date of the Morgan dollar that you cherish in your collections? What was that one Rare find that really made your collecion shine?

If you have a screen cap or a link to your collection, I would love to see it...

I have been learning so much from reading all about the different varieties, I am starting to get overwhelmed, but I love it...

I used to collect coins with my dad before he passed about 20 years ago, but most of those coins were lost due to various reasons, but I am slowly re-igniting my fire.

There is no way I can afford the Gold coins like we used to have, but I still have one of my original 1/10 oz. Eagles Bullion that for some reason one of my sisters had mounted in a ring, but I am going to change that.

I managed to salvage an 1890-P

1890-p-F.jpg1890-B.jpg

Is this any good?

I like all of them and am doing a date set Dansco with similar coins like your 1890. In addition I am working on a MS64 slabbed date set too. 14 more to go to complete.

For whatever reason, this 1900 O/CC. It is not the best condition, but it is the first variety type coin that I was able to show my father that he had unknowingly collected over the years. Of course this has led to an extensive search with a lot of nice surprises. He is 90 years old and he always brings this coin up.

Unfortunately, the picture is not that clear so please take my word for it, the CC is there, wish I had a better pic.

1900MorganOoverCC_0001.jpg

1900MorganOoverCC_0002.jpg

My 1879-CC seems to be the one that lights my fire.

79-cc010-1.jpg

79-ccreverse.jpg

RBrown4, your 1900-O/CC is showing outstanding luster, nice one

Ikenefic, I also like to collect circulated CC'S, they have that real look of the old west.

I only own one morgan (other than a couple I bought for resale) and indeed I own it because of the year. My grandfather was born on Feb 29, 1880. He died in the early 1960s after just 20 birthdays...this is my new pocket piece that I've had a couple of weeks:

1880-oobvasrecd.jpg

1880-orevasrecd.jpg

I have always liked this 1880 S-one of my first quality purchases. I am glad to have had it slabbed. Hope you like it. You guys sure have some beauties.

Jes

1880sobvrev.jpg

I love them all! There are so many subsets that you can put together as a collection. You could put a few volumes together just for the '78 varieties. In DMPL (regardless of mintmark), I have '78-'85, '87, '88, '90, '97 & '98. Alas, my CC set will probably never be finished in MS63-64 unless I hit the lottery. Although I'm still looking for the right '85-CC, I have everything else but the '79, '89 & '93. Does anyone have about $70,000 lying around that they don't need?

Chris

In addition to the 1900 O/CC shown above that is in Grading, I also have this 1879 S Rev. of 78 VAM-9 Top 100 being reviewed as well.

1879SMorgan_0001.jpg

1879SMorgan_0002.jpg

1877 is my favorite Morgan date. His half dollar essais served as the prototype for the new dollar design.
Boiler, those are some beautiful essais!

All extremely beautiful examples! I am astounded by the responses, I knew there would be some, but I was never able to be around by passion that I am now. I really love this hobby. Comics, Coins, or just collecting in general, at least we can all share our ideas and/or comments about what we like or dislike in general in and get a basic concenus of what it is all about.

Thanks guys... but keep the pics coming..

It was just Scheduled for Grading and shows the Variety/Pedigree as VAM-9 Top 100.

Did you have to submit any documentation with it such as a letter of attribution from Leroy Van Allen?

Chris

1893-S with a mintage of 100,000. That's is the Morgan I would have gone after a long time ago if I was a serious Morgan collector.

I think I'd love to have a 1921-S proof as a discovery coin first and then 1884-O proof second wink.gif The 1921-S proof is rumored to exist according to coinfacts.com. Have there ever been any sightings? The 1884-O proof is unique according to coinfacts.com. Can't get more exclusive than a mintage of 1!

From the Variety Plus Service Section of NGC,

NGC will attribute all 1878 8-tailfeather and 7/8-tailfeather, 1879-S Reverse of 78, Top-100 and Hot-50 Morgan Dollar and a handful of other select varieties, as detailed on the list below, by Van Allen-Mallis (VAM) numbers..................