• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Baltimore Day 4: The Fifth Nickel, Presentations, and a new Saint

8 posts in this topic

Well, today was another mostly bourse-floor day. I started by checking out the 1913 Nickel display to see not just the four, but now all 5 1913 V nickels now prominently displayed along with an explanitory (and quickly created) sign. There is also a prominent article in the Money section of the Baltimore Sun on finding the Nickel. Seeing them all together completes one of the biggest hopes I've had since I started collecting. I plan to get more pictures of them and will share the best ones I can once we return.

Afterwards, I met the President of CONECA and showed him the 1911 D/D Saint of mine (which he heartily approved) and passed it over to Brian Silliman for reholdering. I checked back periodically at the NGC tables for the coin, but they have been absolutely slammed and are somewhat bogged down. I plan on picking it up tomorrow.

After leaving the NGC table, I started my quests through the bourse to find... well whatever struck my fancy. Soon, I started checking more 11-D $20s and found a second, unslabbed, unattributed one which I snagged for $465. I then took it over and entered it for slabbing by NGC, but it will be iffy as it has been lightly cleaned (probably overly dipped) and may affect its performance. Expectations by Mr. Silliman and I is either an MS-60 or 61 grade if it slabs. So now I have 2 1911D/D Saints to my name, both cherrypicked.

After lunch nearby, I made my way back to the show and attended the 2pm presentation entitled "Select Seventy", a humorous look at collecting, Registry sets and the directions collecting takes us. The presentation by P. Scott Rubin was well done and enjoyable. Afterwards I talked to Mr. Rubin and we discussed the 1963 "PR-70" cent that sold for $38,000 and his interesting story was that the coin has turned AFTER it was slabbed and was so intensely rare that when it was resubmitted, it was simply replaced in the same holder.

Next came Alan Herbert's presentation on Hub Doubling. Excellently done by Mr. Herbert with magnified slides. I was honored to meet and speak with him afterwards about finding the 1911 D/D Saints.

Finally I met my travelling party for a good dinner at Pisces in the nearby Hyatt.

One thing we all noticed was that any perceived notions we had about the convention have been pleasantly eliminated. The more we've done this week, the more we've been glad to be here.

Tomorrow and Saturday will be busy days with more presentations, possibly selling one of my 1911Ds and other items brought along with me and picking up personal collection items (after several days of being overwhelmed).

Matt, great presentation. Thanks for sharing. I have a couple of quick questions. How rare is the 1911 D/D? And, when you say replaced, do you mean PCGS simply stuck ANOTHER PRDCAM 1963 in a holder and called it PR70?

Matt, great presentation. Thanks for sharing. I have a couple of quick questions. How rare is the 1911 D/D? And, when you say replaced, do you mean PCGS simply stuck ANOTHER PRDCAM 1963 in a holder and called it PR70?

Sounds like it means that PCGS returned it saying that it was properly graded rather than pay for the mistake.

Thanks for the great report. It's almost--but not quite frown.gif --the same as being there!

Re the $38,000 PR70 cent: Are you saying that the coin was resubmitted after it was sold for $38,000 or it was resubmitted after it turned? Whatever, that coin is a far distance from MY perception of what a PR70 should look like!

Mark

Sounds like the case of the 1963 PR70 cent is buying the holder and not the coin!

Thanks for the reports on the ANA show!!!

I do not know if it was resubmitted after the auction or not, however apparently, after it was slabbed, the coin turned, then was photographed for COINage, etc., then afterwards, the "ever so rare" coin was returned to PCGS for review and instead of downgrading the coin, the coin was swapped out and the label and new coin was put into a new holder.

Other than the word of the presenter though, I have no other verification of it.

However, I stated when the auction occured that there's no way it should have gone for that price. One way or another, someone made a $30,000+ mistake.

Nice report. I expefted that the PF70 1963 cent turned after it was holdered and, unfortunately, also expected PCGS to run from its guarantee by simply re-slabing the coin.