• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1956 Mint Set

13 posts in this topic

I have on average 3 US Mint Sets for each year from 1957 through the late 80's. One exception is a 1956 Double Mint Set of 10 coins in the original cardboard container wrapped in cellophane. I am trying to determine whether to leave as is or remove the individual coins for separate grading. They are certain to be valued more separately, it is just that with this being the only set from that year that I have, I just can't decide what to do. Any thoughts?

It seems to me it would be easier and likely more profitable to sell the set intact instead of giving your money to a TPG. The 1956 US Mint sets generally have subpar toning that tends to be of the deeper blue mixed with grey and auburn. Therefore, the coins, even if high grade, are usually aesthetically challenged and do not command extraordinarily high prices. However, there are many folks who will collect the intact US Mint sets who would pay well for an original set. By the way, I do not believe the US Mint shipped these in cellophane so that reads as though it is an after-market alteration.

Tom,

Thank you. I may be incorrect in stating it is cellophane it is a sealed thin plastic covering of some sort. Again, thank you for your info.

It's not a problem to share information, I actually enjoy doing it.

For those unfamiliar with 1947-1958 double Mint Set packaging, the US Mint Sets of this era should have two coins of each denomination from each mint housed in a single cardboard sheet that has holes cutout where the coins were placed inside. The cardboard sheets then have a thin sheet of colored paper, which changed by year, glued to one side of the cardboard, as well as the edge, and folded over the unfastened side. Each cardboard/colored sheet assembly will represent two examples of each coin minted at each mint within a given year. So, in 1956 there would be two cardboard/colored sheet assemblies and these would be housed together in a yellow shipping envelope.

I too find these sets really cool. I have a set from 1955 that I picked up. I am tempted to take out the quarters, but I will leave them in there. The toning is not that great looking as far eye appeal goes, but it is 100% original and that in itself is worth something.

The only reason to break up an original double mint set from the late 1940s and '50s (the last double sets came out in 1958) would be if one or more of the coins was really exceptional and could be slabbed as such. I hate to see that done, but the profit motive is a strong motivator for doing it.

You can buy substitute BU coins to fill in the holders, but such pieces almost never match the original coins, especially the silver coins. If you hold a re-assembled set for a long time, say close to or over a decade, the substitute coins might tone to resemble the original pieces, but it’s still dicey.

First off, I'd like to congratulate Tom for his statement that many 1956 coins are aesthetically challenged. What a pleasant way of stating that. Given the packaging that they were in, many of the coins of 1948-58 are what I would call b#tt ugly. Actually 1956 is a better year for finding nice toner Frankies.

I too find these sets really cool. I have a set from 1955 that I picked up. I am tempted to take out the quarters, but I will leave them in there. The toning is not that great looking as far eye appeal goes, but it is 100% original and that in itself is worth something.

Bruce, don't forget that as long as the coins are in contact with the packaging they will continue to tone... eventually all the way to black, although that may be a long way off. If you find any of the coins pleasantly toned and think any further progression in the toning will cause the coin to become less pleasing then take the coin out of the mint set holder and put it in a flip.

Thanks again to all. The wrapping and technique you describe about edges and overlap confirms that it is intact as original.

Here is a pic showing one of the halves and quarters. Had to crop it so that it did not exceed the size for an attachment on this. The other coins are toned the same.

Everyones comments and ideas are great.

rbrown4

1665285-Halfofone1956MintSet50and25.jpg.de1e6b93604bc7b1a1115f64134dc581.jpg

They look to be fairly typical mint set coins to me that would not get a super grade, like MS-66 or higher if they were taken out and slabbed. The fact that the toning is not dark is a plus in the minds of many people. But to those who are looking for exciting colors and high grades, these coins don't have that.

Skyman I would say these coins would match your quarter you sent me to photo. They have that same sorta look to them. Oddly this set came from Maine. Took a trip up that way and found only coin shop in Maine. That was what I walked out with. Some of the coins are also blackish looking. We shall see what happens.

Now this folks, is what we call Numismatics!

Correct information attained from a level of expereinced experts cannot be readily found anywhere else and with just a click of the finger.

Nice work guys.

BTW, I wish I had that problem, extra sets!!!

Take them out and dip them if need be. Those holders will damage the coins further.

You are joking right? This is not damage, it is just toning.