• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Criteria for including an error coin in the registry

3 posts in this topic

Greetings! I was just wondering what the criteria is for including an error coin the registry. I have heard some errors are included but that the true Washington Dollar errors (smooth edge) are not currently included.

Can someone elaborate on the criteria necessary for an error to be considered for inclusion?

While I do not speak for NGC, here is my interpretation of it:

Errors are not included in the registry.

Varieties are included in the registry, at the discretion of NGC.

So, the 1955/1955 Wheat Cent is a major die variety. The no edge lettering dollar is an error. I would guess that it probably will never be listed in the registry, despite the possibility of it being a popular error.

While I do not speak for NGC, here is my interpretation of it:

Errors are not included in the registry.

Varieties are included in the registry, at the discretion of NGC.

So, the 1955/1955 Wheat Cent is a major die variety. The no edge lettering dollar is an error. I would guess that it probably will never be listed in the registry, despite the possibility of it being a popular error.

Since the incused edge is a unique design in modern coinage it could be argued that a coin without the edge lettering is a variety and not an error, much the same way that the filled D on the 1922 penny is a variety.

Error coins are typically freak coins that have some major flaw in the minting process.

Examples are, off center strikes, Die Clashes,Die Breaks, wrong metal, wrong planchet, flawed planchets, Mules etc...

Unlike a typical error coin, this coin for all outward appearances has no major defect in the minting process, save the complete lack of an edge die. The lack of the edge die, in this instance, is more like a die variety in its effect on the minting process than an error.

While I understand not wanting to include errors in the registry sets. I respectfully submitt that this coin is more like a die variety than a freak error coin.