• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would you as a graded coin collector, be for or against a permanent....

21 posts in this topic

coin holder change by NGC or other TPG services which allows viewing of the coin's edge, such as is presently used on the new Presidential Dollars ? Also, if available, would you re-holder, any or all, of your currently graded coins to show the edge of any denomination coin ?

IMO, I would like to at least have the option offered by NGC or other TPG service to have any denomination coin graded and holdered to display the coin's edge. Thanks, in advance, for your comments.

I think it's about darned time they started showing the "third edge", and I think it removes one obstacle to slabs that many die-hard uncertified coin collectors have been able to promote. NGC has had the capabilty of showing all three sides for quite some time, and I have never understood why they didn't leverage it more to their advantage.

To your point, I would indeed have certain coins reholdered, provided NGC would guarantee the coin not to be changed in grade.

I think there's something to show on the edge ... the edge! Just like I like admiring a smooth field, I like admiring a nice edge. The edge of a coin can show you wear character of the coin that isn't otherwise visible. I enjoy looking at silver edges and comparing the edges of clad Ike dollars. You also get a better feel for the thickness and heft of the coin that is often lost in slabs. Should we cover up the fields because they are flat? wink.gif

I'd prefer all slabbed coins to be in edge view holders.

I think it's about darned time they started showing the "third edge", and I think it removes one obstacle to slabs that many die-hard uncertified coin collectors have been able to promote. NGC has had the capabilty of showing all three sides for quite some time, and I have never understood why they didn't leverage it more to their advantage.

To your point, I would indeed have certain coins reholdered, provided NGC would guarantee the coin not to be changed in grade.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

I would be for it all the way with having the rim showing, the TPG needed a holder like this many years ago. The Saint Gaudens Double Eagles would be a good candidate for this holder, you would then be able to see the stars and numerals surrounding the outer rim on the earlier dates.

Maybe they will start working on it if they get to read this very informative thread 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'd like to see the EdgeView holder become standard, or at least a no extra cost option. Some smaller coins such as $5 Gold Eagles and $5 gold commemoratives sometimes seem lost in the insert, and sometimes they get slabbed cockeyed. I'd enjoy seeing the whole coin including reeded edges (where applicable).

I might reholder certain coins if the option were available.

Beijim

can anyone post a photo of this holder that shows the edges?

I think I've seen it where a coin looked like it was held in place by three or so prongs of plastic/rubber in the holder.

I thought it was the ugliest thing I've ever seen, so if that's it, I'd like it to be optional.

I think it is a good idea and should be offered as an option. It would be fine with me if the holder changed too. But I would only re-holder my coins on a selective basis if at all unless the market preference required it in terms of market pricing. I have about 150 slabs and at the $5 fee that I paid before (once), that would cost $750. I would rather spend that money on more coins than new plastic.

I think there's something to show on the edge ... the edge! Just like I like admiring a smooth field, I like admiring a nice edge. The edge of a coin can show you wear character of the coin that isn't otherwise visible. I enjoy looking at silver edges and comparing the edges of clad Ike dollars. You also get a better feel for the thickness and heft of the coin that is often lost in slabs. Should we cover up the fields because they are flat? wink.gif

I'd prefer all slabbed coins to be in edge view holders.

exactly...for early coppers, rim hits can be hidden in slabs because you can't see the edge...also, planchet flaws that don't transect the surface can sometimes be seen on the edge of the coin.

you need for example edge view for unc and proof three cent nickels

would conclusively answer many of my questions when looking at these coins in their respective holders

also for any federal coin to see the edge as it can tell you lots like wear and rim files and other marks or not!! on the edges of coins that again can answer conclusively what i really want to know about the coin in its respective holder and unfortunately 893whatthe.gif for the seller or fortunately cloud9.gif for the prospective buyer

as the case may be

will make many holdered coins unacceptable in more ways than one devil.gif