• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ask NGC and Ask Numismedia Questions never answered...

15 posts in this topic

And if Numismedia doesn't like the question then they will just permanently ignore it.

I certainly believe that!

About two weeks ago I asked the question: "Why are the Numismedia prices for the 2006 Franklin Silver Dollars (MS-70 and PF-70) both over $200 when they regularly go for about $50 each on Ebay?" and have never received a reply.

Your frustration is showing. I agree it may be rude to ignore you.

To your question: Ebay, much as some want it, is not the national/international coin market. I would guess if dealers are getting $200 for these in their stores and they are part of the survey, $200 it is.

I agree, Last week I asked why my NGC 1985 PF70 Kennedy with a population of only 5! was worth as much as my 2000 and 2002 NGC Clad PF70 Kennedys with populations of above 175. I guess they think if they don't respond I will forget about it. I don't think so!

And if Numismedia doesn't like the question then they will just permanently ignore it.

I believe it. I asked a question in Numismedia and never received a response. Also I Emailed Scott Schechter Dir. of marketing over a month ago and have not had a reply either. It seems if you don't call them then you are not going to get an answer sign-rantpost.gif

I believe it. I asked a question in Numismedia and never received a response. Also I Emailed Scott Schechter Dir. of marketing over a month ago and have not had a reply either. It seems if you don't call them then you are not going to get an answer sign-rantpost.gif

That's B.S., Don't tell me to call when you created a forum specifically for this purpose. sign-offtopic.gif

About two weeks ago I asked the question: "Why are the Numismedia prices for the 2006 Franklin Silver Dollars (MS-70 and PF-70) both over $200 when they regularly go for about $50 each on Ebay?" and have never received a reply.

In my experience the Numismedia prices are "optimistic" with respect to average eBay prices realized. Several factors likely contribute to the disparity. First, Numismedia obtains pricing information from multiple sources not all of which are as efficient a market as eBay. Second, eBay is just about the most efficient coin market available, so average prices there will (as a generalization) be lower more quickly for commonly available issues than in other venues. Third, eBay delivers real time pricing data to any casual observer via its listings, whereas Numismedia must validate and compile pricing data in order to update its database. This process takes time and probably introduces meaningful lag between when the related transactions occurred and their assimilation into the database.

Bottom line: I take the Numismedia prices with a grain of salt because I generally use eBay/Teletrade/auction houses as my guide to realizable liquidity.

As to your specific question re: the Franklin commemoratives, I believe your quote of $50 is a bit low. A more realistic number would be $60 - 70. I sold three NGC Franklins in MS70 and PF70UC on eBay in the past week in this range. All were auction style listings that began under $1.00.

Specific price notwithstanding, I of course agree that $60 is a damn sight less than $200, and I believe the Numismedia folks should have answered your question.

Beijim

Thanks for the perspective Beijim. I agree with your assesment Ebay being the most efficient coin market available.

What really irks my hole is when dealers want to use Ebay or Teletrade prices when buying a coin from a person, but then want to use Numismedia prices when when you want to buy the coin from them.

I find it interesting that nobody from NGC/Numismedia has addresses this thread yet.

That's B.S., Don't tell me to call when you created a forum specifically for this purpose. sign-offtopic.gif

I don't know why the "ASK" forums are not responding to questions, but you seem to be getting riled up about the comment made by saen78 and he isn't the one who started the forum. It wasn't NGC or NCS or Numismedia that said you should call.

If the "ASK" forums are becoming too time consuming for the satff at NGC, then I think they should just do away with them.

Chris

I don't think it's a matter of too time consuming. I think they just don't answer questions they don't like.

On the other hand, maybe they are all busy working on my current submission that has been "Received" for 12 days now.

I don't think it's a matter of too time consuming. I think they just don't answer questions they don't like.

On the other hand, maybe they are all busy working on my current submission that has been "Received" for 12 days now.

They do searches to make sure they have not answered the question previously Had you checked ??

NGC doesn’t answer these questions, Numismedia does