• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

A bunch of great stuff on eBay, February 25- March 3

6 posts in this topic

Hi All - Check out my eBay store if you find something that interests you! Animasticus Coins Thanks, Hoot.

Up for fixed price

1938-S Jeff 5c MS-65 full steps PCGS registry piece! $265.00

1944-S Jefferson 5c MS-67 NGC Beautiful registry coin! $220.00

1999-2003 State Quarters - Intercept Shield album $495.00

In auction – all No Reserve acutions

First Day of Issue 2007-D Washington Dollar rolls

2007-D Washington $1 rolls FIRST DAY of ISSUE

These rolls were stamped and post marked Bozeman, Montana, February 15, 2007.

Modern commems

1993-D Madison $1 MS69 PCGS Prooflike

1986-P Statue of Liberty $1 MS69 NGC gorgeous

Unusually nice SMS Kennedies

1965 SMS Kennedy 50c MS-65 "star" cameo

1967 SMS Kennedy 50c MS66 NGC Superb

Jefferson Nickels

1987-D Jefferson 5c MS-65 full steps PCGS

1963 Jefferson 5c MS64 PCGS Lovely.

1962 Jefferson 5c MS65 PCGS Rainbow tone

1961 Jefferson 5c MS65 PCGS Pizzazz!

1959-D Jefferson 5c MS65 PCGS Beautiful

1959 Jeff 5c MS-64 full steps PCGS

1957-D Jefferson 5c MS64 PCGS rainbow tone

1956-D Jefferson 5c MS65 PCGS sharp!

1956 Jefferson 5c MS65 NGC nr. 5 steps

1952-S Jefferson 5c MS65 NGC nr. 5 steps

1951-S Jeff 5c MS64 PCGS - rainbow tone

Key Date Peace Dollar

1934-S Peace $1 XF-45 Excellent album coin

Large Cents

1848 N-35a Mature Head 1c EF-40 det, VF-35 net A, EAC

1827 N-5 Matron Head 1c VF-25 det, VF-20 net A, EAC

Hoot,

I’m not at all knowledgeable about copper but I would like to bid on at least one of these large cents for my dansco 7070. What does “EF-40 det, VF-35 net A, EAC” mean?

Thanks so much, Winston

Hi Winston - The grade given is what I believe the grade is by the guidances of Early American Copper (EAC) collectors. These "standards" (they are more like a lineage of practice) are more stringent than market grading standards. The first grade is a "details" grade, and indicates how much "meat" is on the coin from a combination of what one would expect for the issue of the variety and the wear. The second grade is a "net" grade and reflects the fact that something about the coin requires a deduction in the grade due to some form of defect or noticeable flaw. It's common that coppers are netted down, and rather remarkable when they are not. Take these two coins:

1848 N-35a Mature Head 1c EF-40 det, VF-35 net A, EAC

The first is netted down because of the small hits on Liberty's cheek and just a hint of uneven color (the latter is not very affective). The "A" is indicative of "Average" surface appearance for coins of this type. Surface attribution goes like this: S (scudzy), A- (average minus), A (Average), A+ (above average, and usually quite fetching), and C (choice, and truly flawlessly amazing).

1827 N-5 Matron Head 1c VF-25 det, VF-20 net A, EAC

This coin is netted down for uneven surface color between the high points of the devices and the fields. The coin is recolored, but very naturally so. The coin has good detail and otherwise average surfaces with no other uncommon defects. The color unevennes is due to the fact that the wear on the high points caused the copper to be slightly more rough than the fields and more protected areas. Rough copper tends to tone more darkly than copper that still has the protective surfaces imparted by striking.

In the case of most copper, you should leave thee coins raw. The grading services have a high probability of body bagging early copper for countless excuses (reasons wink.gif). Tke the time to look at Bill Jones' posts on BB'd early copper as good illustrations of this fact. Also, cruise Teletrade and Heritage to see what gets holdered by whom and the extraordinary variation of quality. Most "problem free" copper, in a market grading sense, looks awful and has had little proper care over time.

If I were to market grade these coins, I'd call them VF30 and AU50, respectively. However, it turns my stomach to think that way about these coins, which stand worthy on their own.

Long answer to your question, but your question is important.

Hoot

One other fact to bear in mind is that when the grading services slab an EAC, they are typically "net grading" the coin, just without the explicit call on the grade. They simply boil the details, net, and sruface attribution all into a single number. It's far less informative.

Hoot