• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

An outstanding post across the street!!

8 posts in this topic

That's really interesting! thumbsup2.gif

I had heard the spacing and the striking pressure before, but the annealing is totally fascinating!

RWB comes up with the coolest research. grin.gif

Thanks for linking. laugh.gif

-Amanda

I am currently taking a materials science class, and in lab we tested the hardness of steel that was treated in several ways. The annealed steel was the softest.

While we are on the subject of annealing, the dies are also annealed. If they are improperly annealed, they can also become either brittle or too soft. Improper annealing can lead to decarburization (which is too little carbon in the steel), which leads to shorter die life and increased Die Deterioration Doubling.

Great story, 893applaud-thumb.gifI love getting little peeks into the production of coins at our mints throughout history and today. And a very good thought as to what can cause poor strikes. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

With 30 years of working in metal stamping I really can relate to how such a little problem like material hardness can screw with the quality of the product, I’ve fought this same problem a few too many times with the production that goes on where I’ve worked. 27_laughing.gifinsane.gif27_laughing.gif

In the realm of cold working metals coining is only second to deep drawing, (like the stretching the aluminum to form a beer or soda can) in the need for the material being used to have all of it’s specifications including hardness held very close for every lot that is run. The silver/copper alloy that coins are made of may seem soft compared to other metals, but when trying to get that alloy to flow into the deepest cavities “soft” becomes real relative; just a little, almost undetectable difference can make production go from easy cool.gif to impossible. confused.gif