• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1972 Type Ikes... I need reference pictures...

11 posts in this topic

Hello all,

Anyone know where I can find good, close-up pictures that show the differences between the Type 1,2, and 3 1972-P Eisenhowers?

I know the difference is in South America on the Earth in the distance on the reverse.

thanks

Those pics make things a lot easier. It also helps that I have NGC-slabbed type 1 and 3.

I thought this one might be a possible type 2, but now that I've made the high-res scan, I'm pretty sure it's a type 1.

pic link

thoughts?

Those are some Killer Ikes in that collection...I don't do a whole lot of Ikes, but I do know how hard they are to obtain in 65 or above on the business strikes.

I really like those 76'ers...our Liberty Bell back dropped by the Moon, a fitting tribute to the American resolve to fight for liberty and then fight on to be the first country in the free world to land on the moon. "Houston...the Eagle has landed."

The first moon landing by a human was that of the United States Neil Armstrong, commander of the Apollo 11 mission, accompanied by Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin. On July 20, 1969, while their teammate Michael Collins controlled the command module Columbia, Armstrong landed the lunar module Eagle on the surface of the moon at 4:17:42 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time.

moonplaque.jpg

The historical plaque on the Apollo 11 lunar module Eagle, still remaining on the moon.

The first moon landing by a human was that of the United States Neil Armstrong, commander of the Apollo 11 mission, accompanied by Edwin 'Buzz' Aldrin. On July 20, 1969, while their teammate Michael Collins controlled the command module Columbia, Armstrong landed the lunar module Eagle on the surface of the moon at 4:17:42 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time.

Have you ever watch the mini-series "From the Earth to the Moon"? If you have not, rent it watch it (I think it's about twelve hours) VERY interesting. It deals with the Mercury Program, the loss of Apollo 1 including Walter Mondale's exhaustive efforts to cancel the program, through the end of the program. In one memorable scene Deke Slayton stands before the first meeting of the Apollo Astronaughts and says "I don't know who the first man on the Moon will be, but I do know he just walked through that door and shook my hand."