• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stone Mountain,,,Please be opinionated...

13 posts in this topic

I would have to agree with the first two opinions of the coin, it does appear to be a dipped mid AU example. However, as AU examples go I don’t think it is a bad looking coin, I have seen much worse.

John

If you're just looking to complete an affordable commem set then it is all right but it does lack pizzaz and and borders on the blah.

Hey, you wanted it between the eyes, Pat. tongue.gif

If you're just looking to complete an affordable commem set then it is all right but it does lack pizzaz and and borders on the blah.

Hey, you wanted it between the eyes, Pat. tongue.gif

I expect Nothing less thumbsup2.gif

From the pictures, I would say a dipped AU55. Does not impress me much.

The Stone Mountain is an inexpensive issue, so look for a nice MS64 as a minimum.

Let me take a slightly contrarian view -- but keep in mind that this is from the point of view of someone who might actually have a reason to look for a non-mint state coin!

Assuming that AU53 is a fair "numerical" assessment, I like the coin. Unlike many dipped out coins, where you end up with a boring uniformity of across all the surfaces, this coin has reasonably nice contrast in the devices. The eagle on the reverse, and Generals Lee and Jackson on the obverse appear fairly bold. Personally, I prefer the frosty appearance of the coin to dipped out coins that end up looking "polished, but without the hairlines"

(PS - in my collection of circulated and odd-grade commemoratives, I have an Oregon Trail grading PCGS MS61 !!! It is a poster child for the please don't dip movement. It is an instructive coin, but hard to believe it made it into any slab)

In my opinion, some coins are fine in a white state or after a proper dip, but some coins should have some oomph to em if you know what I mean. Most commems fall in this category.

Slow down with the dipped out comments. Yes the coin has been dipped at one point, but you have to remember this is a scan. AU coin still but I bet in hand it is nice.