• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How accurate is Coinworld Trends?

11 posts in this topic

I noticed that early type coins are listed at substantially higher prices than in Coin Prices, the Redbook, etc. Pricing appears to be 33% higher in some cases. Who is right? This is refering to circulated grades, not PQ coins which can demand a premium.

Not sure exactly but why not try using Heritage's auction archives? You can look up prices there and compare them to CW Trends! After all, what better way to get market price than using auctions?

Let us know how it turns out.

jom

I noticed that early type coins are listed at substantially higher prices than in Coin Prices, the Redbook, etc. Pricing appears to be 33% higher in some cases. Who is right? This is refering to circulated grades, not PQ coins which can demand a premium.

Actually, for early Type coins, you can find a PQ piece grading F-12 as easily as you can a PQ piece grading MS-62. Although I haven't looked, the prices in the Red Book are generally low for early Type, and problem-free quality pieces will almost always demand higher prices.

Depends on the series & grade. I looked up trend re a 38 PF dime, and it's about 20% high. On older type, though, in general, forget about it. You'll be laughed off the bourse floor if you try to buy an AU Bust $ for trend. The same is true for Greysheet. After two years, I finally got a nice Braided Hair Large Cent in 5 RB. Sheet is $750. No way you can pick up a nice one for that price.

From what I've seen, on FH Type II SLQs in 6, they seem to be about right, though.

thast is not an easy question to answer it all depends on the coin sight seen

some prices in coin would are way over priced and some are way underpriced

some are close

you have to spoecialize and know the market and again it all depends on the look and surfaces of a coin

usually for average available coins with average eye appeal and just average surfaces most of ? some of?e coin would treads are accurate retail guides

and yet a guide only a starting point

for extraordinary coins with exceptional eye appeal and something that you do not see everyday weather it is a good 4 a poor 1 or a ms/proof 67 then the price varies

sorry for average circ grades coins that are reasonably available treads might be for the most part an approximate retail value

but for those specific pre 1835 silver copper coins this is just not the case the values can range wildly super wildly deopending on the look of the coin the porosity of the coin as per copper and if the coin is fully original with good eye appeal and trends prices do not assume the coin has good eye appeal let alone total originality as these coins just do not exist totally untouched yes there are some but few and far between

The server was down last night so I was prevented from going online. Bummer! I was "jonsing" to check out the boards. Hi, my name is Victor and I'm a board-o-holic... grin.gif

Thanks for the advice. Michael had mentioned the Heritage auction's price list to me. I'll check that out tonight. Thanks for the feedback!!!!

Michael, great book: David Hall's A mercenary's Guide to Rare Coins . Sure is reinforcing alot of principles that we've talked about. Man, if we only knew then what we know now. Yet, we'll be saying the same thing in a few years from now. Ms or Pr 65 or better is definitely the way to go. 64 will work if the budget won't allow 65's.

Think about how expensive Ike's were in the '70's. Heck, I remember in 1976 when the 1975 S proof cent was retailing for $25. I bought one at that price and I was only 11 years old. Would have been better off buying Morgans. Oh well, all of my coins "disappeared" when I went into the Navy in 1984 anyhow so I still wouldn't have anything to show for it.

Here's to making better and wiser purchases---- CHEERS!!!

sweet i am glad you got it

i hope you got it?

but you have to read in between the lines and see way back then how expensive coins where? and the part where he says do not buy any moderns>? yet today this iS ALL THEY SELL

but remember times change and yesterdays dogs are not todays lovers!! just like with the proof three cent nickels and other obsolete coinage and barber ms and proof coins half dimes and such today they might not be in favor but watch out they soon will be!

Actually, coparing CW Trends prices to those of the Red Book is kind of like comparing apples to oranges. CW Trends are supposed to be up-dated monthly to current market average retail prices. The Red Book prices are compiled from the previous years average retail prices. Such as 2004 Red Book prices are averages from 2003. As you know the coin market is extremely volitile meaning it`s ever changing from one day to the next. As far as their accuracy, they are only meant to be used as a general guide and not a precise buy or sell price. If a 1913-S type II Buffalo nickel in say fine condition shows a price of $200, a very good $150, and a very fine a price of $220. It would probably be safe to assume that if you have a coin that you consider grades a nice fine the value would fall some where between $150 and $220 but not necessarily exactly $200.