• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Seated Dollars ....

39 posts in this topic

Impossible???????

This seems like one of the most difficult areas to collect!????

Or am I imagining it?

Does anyone care to post their Seated Dollars? I'd love to see them!

TomB has a wonderful example he picked up not too long ago, that I sure wish he'd share here.

I've been looking for a nice example in the XF-AU range for better than a year and have found only two coins I found acceptable -- I got outbid both times. frustrated.gif ...Mike

I had this one in a Dansco for many years. I'm wondering if it would get bagged on color.

Image_0865-800X.jpg

Image_0877-800X.jpg

It might. I had an 1872 Seated Dollar with similar color that got bagged for "artificial toning." I got all of my money out of it ($500 or so) because it was more attractive than most Seated Dollars in AU that you see offered. The person to whom I sold it knew it was AT because I told him. I don't what he did with it after that,

With Seated Dollars, many times it boils down to this choice: Orginal with ugly toning, dipped bright white or AT with some eye appeal. This choice does not seem to apply to the other Seated Liberty type coins. confused-smiley-013.gif

This is a very hard series to collect, even if you are looking for just type coins. I paid well over "ask" for an 1869 in PCGS PR-63, Cameo holder. The coin has original surfaces, and the obverse is quite pretty. The reverse is a bit dark, but it has grown on me.

I'd like a Proof No Motto piece to match it, but only a few years issued during the Civil War are "common," and large numbers of pieces have been dipped to death or have artificial toning. The "dipped to death" comment applies to both Proof and Mint State pieces.

Wow! is all I can say, for all the above!!!

I love these coins but seemingly impossible to find in decent condition. TDN...

WOW!

This one is what sparked me re this series

1656176-1842obverseB.JPG1656178-1842reverseB.JPG

I have a friend with a complete certified set lacking only one coin. In learning from him, I think the set is not impossible, as there is much less competition than for, say, Sacagawea dollars.

Of course, I'm assuming you want to assemble a "normal set", and not a pop-top mega-whipple super-dmpl registry-caliber set 27_laughing.gif!

Wow TDN, That is an amazing 1866 dollar. It is rare to see a MS coin and that one is a 67!

It is difficult to find any decent seated dollars. At the last Balitmore show, I was trying to help a friend to find an EF-AU coin. He searched the floor and found around 6 in that grade range. I reviewed them and all of the raw ones had problems. All had been cleaned. Some had retoned with that light tan/brown toning. There was only 1 in a PCGS holder that was worth buying.

Love those dollars TDN, especially the 1966 with that gorgeous toning 893applaud-thumb.gif

Kudos to PCGS TrueView as well thumbsup2.gif

Hmmmm.....that's even rarer than the 1964 Peace Dollar. Wooo-hooo! grin.gif

Love those dollars TDN, especially the 1966 with that gorgeous toning 893applaud-thumb.gif

Kudos to PCGS TrueView as well thumbsup2.gif

Hmmmm.....that's even rarer than the 1964 Peace Dollar. Wooo-hooo! grin.gif
lol - oops! Damn, now THAT would really be something! foreheadslap.gif

There are beautiful Seated dollars throughout this thread, and tihs is unusual since the series is such a tough nut to crack. I only have three pieces, and none have good images, but I will try to post one or two tonight.

I had this one in a Dansco for many years. I'm wondering if it would get bagged on color.

Well I got my answer. frown.gif PCSG called it Altered Surfaces.

I seem to get this a lot with seated coins I pull from Dansco albums. Maybe next time smile.gif

I hate when they use the term 'altered surface' without telling me what they think may have been done (or happened) to the surface.

I hate it too. It would be great if they would share their thoughts. In this same submission they gave an AU-55 to a Seated Dime that came back altered surfaces last year.

It's a crazy hobby. insane.gif