• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1979/1981S Proof Sets Type I or II

7 posts in this topic

hello to all

i have some 1979 and 1981 proof sets which i cannot seem to get everyone to agree on, i at first thought them to be type II but since have been told no by some and maybe by some. i have attached a photo of just the mint marks. could someone help me please? thanks jes

sorry i left the photo off. genius at work.i guess i'm not smart enough to upload a photo. will learn and try again.

again sorry to waste your time

jes

1653511-1979_81smintmarks.jpg.e7299a59a53a58d28c22e315f22e42d7.jpg

There does seem to be a bit of inconsistancy in the clearity of the mint marks.

The 79 half is questionable, there should be a bit of field in the bottoms of the hooks on the S, but this could be from a late die state.

The 79's mint mark looked just like a "blob" on the coin, faintly resembling an S, all of your 79's have definition, so they look like they are type II variety.

The 81's are type I sorry to say, the S's are filled (the serifs, the ends of the S touch the body of the S)

Other opinions are welcome, these are just opinions based on images.

I concur that your 1979 coins appear to be Type 2 (because none of the mint marks are indistinguishable blobs), while your 1981 coins appear to be Type 1 (which acually used the same, but worn, punch as was used to create the 1979 Type 2 and 1980 varieties).

Beijim