• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should transfer and reproduction die strikes be called restrikes?

10 posts in this topic

I've been wondering what kind of strikes should be considered restrikes lately. I was surprised to hear that coins struck from reproduction dies can be called restrikes, listed as item (d) below. I've put together the following list of restrike types. Which of the following are considered restrikes and which ones are reproductions, replicas or tribute pieces?

(a) same organization, original dies

(b) same organization, transfer dies from original dies

© same organization, transfer dies from coin/medal

(d) same organization, reproduction dies

(e) different organization, original dies

(f) different organization, transfer dies from original dies

(g) different organization, transfer dies from coin/medal

(h) different organization, reproduction dies

I'd like to think that only (a) and (e) are true restrikes but I'm interested to hear what other people think.

Only A, and then only in the correct year of original striking. Anything else is a restrike or imitation, or less.

Only A, and then only in the correct year of original striking. Anything else is a restrike or imitation, or less.
What do you mean by "Anything else is a restrike"? Do you mean "Anything else is a reproduction" or something else?

So the Haseltine and Bashlow "restrikes" of the CSA cent are not technically restrikes because they were not struck by the CSA even though original dies were used? What would they be called?

Could be both. If from original dies but made in a later year, they could be called restrikes. Any other dies would create reproductions, imitations, pot metal, etc.

Lovett's dies may or may not have been solicited by the CSA. If not, the cent tokens are simply expensive fantasy pieces - quite collectible, just not what the marketing folks (of any era) called them.

If we assume Lovett's pieces to be fantasy pieces, I would interpret your definition to mean Haseltine's pieces would be reproductions/imitations of Lovett's fantasy pieces, not restrikes. Is this correct?

I'm still not understanding the issue with the correct year of striking. Let's say, theoretically the Paris Mint uses original dies to strike Libertas Americana medals in the late 20th century that were originally used to strike pieces in the 18th century, would the 20th century pieces be considered reproductions because they were not struck in the same year as the original? I say theoretically because there's some debate if the dies used were original dies or die transfer dies but let's assume original dies for this discussion.

put together the following list of restrike types. Which of the following are considered restrikes and which ones are reproductions, replicas or tribute pieces?

(a) same organization, original dies are restrikes thumbsup2.gif

the rest are repros, replicas and tribute pieces or as i like to call them politically incorrectly crappy wannabes

devil.gif

Michael's definition seems to allow restrikes to be made in any subsequent time period while RWB's definition requires restrikes to be made in the original year of striking. Which one is more accepted? Who came up with the requirement that restrikes have to be made in the original year of striking and where can this reference be found?

If there's no date on the original...?

In many cases it may be impossible to tell if the "restrike" was made in the same or a different year, so you take your best information and make your decision.