• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ignorant question about 1995 Lincoln Cent

4 posts in this topic

I was digging through my old lincoln cents and this one coin stood out because of it's color. It resembles a 1995 Planchet Lincoln Cent I saw on Heritage only no where near as clean.

Would some please explain the reasons behind the color differences, and such? I have been out of the Numis scene far too long and my eys are beginning to fail me...

th_LincolnCent1995comparedto2005-color.jpg

th_LincolnCent1995-wierdcolor.jpg

th_LincolnCentt-back.jpg

There is no such thing as an ignorant question, but I have experienced many ignorant answers (note: not here but as in life in general...like this one DPS Trooper who answered when I asked why he pulled me over, that I was going 88 in a 75....well, never mind about that one)

I could not give you definite answer because I do not know the history of that particular Lincolon cent, but just about all cents turn color when exposed to circulation. This particular one may have been exposed to some environmental issue that turned it that brown looking color, hard to say.

You mention a planchet cent, am I to assume that was one that was not struck by the dies and is a blank?

Maybe this post will break the ice of silence...it's been awhile since your post.

The one I saw on Heritage galeries was in excellent shape. I merely put a pic of a 2005 cent next to the 1995 I am asking about to show the contrast in color. My 1995 looks like the color of the one on Heritage, and It was selling for like $270+ or so..

The really strange thing which prompted my question to begin with was the fact that I was able to pic this one penney out of an entire water jug full of old cents due to it's color, and it was the only one of it's kind.

Perhaps you response will break the ice on my question I hope...

Thanks!

As WJ indicated, all copper cents turn in color over time. The coin on Heritage is likely not just red, but very high grade. Depending on the environmental conditions a copper coin is exposed to, it will turn various shades of color. This is also a function of the purity (impurity) of the copper and how each of the metals interact with one another and their environment. Some will imitate rainbows, while others will turn various shades of brown and black. Each may be distinct.

Hoot