• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Has NGC or other TPG services decided if they will label the two date ---

7 posts in this topic

and inscription orientations present on the new Presidential Dollars as a variety, type or error ? On some dollars the date and inscription can only be read when Washington's head is face-up, others when his face is down. It will probably be some time before it can be determined which "type" is more common.

The way the edge lettering appears on the coin differs from coin to coin because it is applied after the coin is struck. It is done with no standard or tolerance for where the final design lines up with the edge lettering. It is only on the proof versions that the mint has announced a tolerance and a standard. Since no tolerance or standard has been set with the mint, it cannot be considered an error if the edge lettering appears in a different position from coin to coin. Nor is it considered a type since there is no design difference. As for variety, not likely since it differs from coin to coin and variety usually falls under the category of something that is repeated from coin to coin from a design difference or flaw and the edge lettering is applied after strike and will appear different on coins struck with the same die and die parings.

The only thing I see which may be potential errors will be possibly half struck lettering due to off centering on the edge? I have found one letter right on the edge of the edge if that makes any sense. what ya think Jay?

I'm also thinking that this first issue of dollars may just bring some better ideas, or more consistentcy by the mint for the next set of dollars. Who knows!!! confused-smiley-013.gif