• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Today Show was mocking the new dollar coins....

I think the fate of the new Presidential Dollars is...  

282 members have voted

1. 1. I think the fate of the new Presidential Dollars is...

61 posts in this topic

The thing is, most people don't walk around $50-$100 in one dollar bills unless they are a guy headed to a strip club, or a woman walking out of one.

People cry about the weight of the coins. In theory, you should never have more than four at a time.

Speaking of strippers, you'd think strippers would be in favor of getting rid of the dollar bill. I suppose it would create an increase in demand for $2 bills.

The dollar bill ain't going anywhere. The bottom line is the company that makes the paper for dollar bills in in Massachusetts. As long as Ted Kennedy is alive (hopefully that won't be too much longer) there will be no change in U.S. policy that adversely effects his state. After all, he is the current head of America's Royal Family **vomit**

The thing is, most people don't walk around $50-$100 in one dollar bills unless they are a guy headed to a strip club, or a woman walking out of one.

People cry about the weight of the coins. In theory, you should never have more than four at a time.

Speaking of strippers, you'd think strippers would be in favor of getting rid of the dollar bill. I suppose it would create an increase in demand for $2 bills.

The dollar bill ain't going anywhere. The bottom line is the company that makes the paper for dollar bills in in Massachusetts. As long as Ted Kennedy is alive (hopefully that won't be too much longer) there will be no change in U.S. policy that adversely effects his state. After all, he is the current head of America's Royal Family **vomit**

Bingo...!

I once seen a stripper that could almost pick up a whole stack of Quarters, might go back and see what she thinks about the new dollars...insane.gif

I think they got a lot going for them and I will use them on a regular basis, I won't carry $50 worth ( I don't carry $50 one dollar bills either ) but 3 or 4 will cover a full pocket of small change...

The Sac & SBA faced the same up hill battle but the obscure PC designs put the nail in the coffin for them...

Plus it will bring lots more people into the hobby like the state Quarters did, just think of the errors and varieties that are showing up already and to come in the near future. Lots of people start there then branch into the other areas of collecting, type sets and the such...

The time is right and the design is good... thumbsup2.gif

Can you envision carrying around $50.00 in the new coins in your pocket as opposed to $50.00 in paper in your wallet? I will take the paper anyday! sumo.gif

When was the last time you carried $50 in $1 1paper? Recently, I had $25 in singles and that was too thick. I walked into a store and exchanged the paper for larger denominations! Unless they were rolled, I would not carry $25 in coins. I would convert them to 2 pieces of paper (a twenty and five dollar bills).

Scott hi.gif

They just need to reintroduce $5, $10 and $20 coins. Then we'd be all set. $50? no prob smile.gif

Coins are too easy to lose. I'd rather have a penny fall out of my pocket than a $20 coin.

Can you envision carrying around $50.00 in the new coins in your pocket as opposed to $50.00 in paper in your wallet? I will take the paper anyday! sumo.gif

When was the last time you carried $50 in $1 1paper? Recently, I had $25 in singles and that was too thick. I walked into a store and exchanged the paper for larger denominations! Unless they were rolled, I would not carry $25 in coins. I would convert them to 2 pieces of paper (a twenty and five dollar bills).

Scott hi.gif

I took $25.00 to school today and handed them out to some of the kids in my girls Kindergarten class...As well as the teacher and the principle...They got a kick out of them ...

I guess I would too if I got some free money 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I took $25.00 to school today and handed them out to some of the kids in my girls Kindergarten class...As well as the teacher and the principle...They got a kick out of them ...

But it was a cool gesture! thumbsup2.gif

Scott hi.gif

But it was a cool gesture! thumbsup2.gif

Scott hi.gif

I agree. Very thoughtful and an excellent gesture! 893applaud-thumb.gif

That's cool!!!! thumbsup2.gif

They just need to reintroduce $5, $10 and $20 coins. Then we'd be all set. $50 in coins? no prob smile.gif

While I agree with you almost completely based on principle, I disagree in terms of practicality. These days, folks don't want to carry that much cash, and they'd rather use plastic for purchases like that.

On a related note, I called over a dozen banks around me and 2 have the coins, though one will only give 'em to customers. So I'm going to try the other when I get back today. Honestly, though, it should not be this difficult to get these coins for face. frustrated.gif

They just need to reintroduce $5, $10 and $20 coins. Then we'd be all set. $50 in coins? no prob smile.gif
While I agree with you almost completely based on principle, I disagree in terms of practicality. These days, folks don't want to carry that much cash, and they'd rather use plastic for purchases like that.
I'd like to think a circulating $20 silver coin issued by the US Government (like the Liberty Dollar) would be successful but if the US Mint issued a $20 circulating coin, I'm sure it will be clad.

I'd like to think a circulating $20 silver coin issued by the US Government (like the Liberty Dollar) would be successful but if the US Mint issued a $20 circulating coin, I'm sure it will be clad.

The Mint will produce coins in the denomination and composition as required by law. They get some latitude on design (with oversight from the Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee and the Commission for Fine Arts), but everything else is very scripted for them.

If you want to see how restrictive the law is on what the Mint can do, check out 31 U.S.C. § 5112 entitled "Denominations, specifications, and design of coins."

Remember, the Mint executes the policy that is made by Congress!

Scott hi.gif

On the poll, #1,2, and 4.

If I have some change in my pocket, I want to be able to feel the difference between a dollar and a quarter so I know what to pull out or if I just have to pay with bills and get change. Can most people distinguish between a quarter and small dollar without using their eyes and without having the other available to compare with?

Yes,i have no problems doing so.

Also remember that it was the US Mint saying changing coin designs would create havoc for many years

Actually it was the Treasury Dept, not the Mint.

It is so much easier to carry a $10-$20-$100 bill to spend than it is to carry around $50 or so in coinage!!

Sure is, lets get rid of all the coinage. Why would you have to carry $50 in coinage instead of a ten or twenty dollar bill?

If I have some change in my pocket, I want to be able to feel the difference between a dollar and a quarter so I know what to pull out or if I just have to pay with bills and get change. Can most people distinguish between a quarter and small dollar without using their eyes and without having the other available to compare with?
Yes,i have no problems doing so.
Granted you are a numismatist and a sample size of one smile.gif I was primarily interested in the average American, who likely is not a coin collector.

Can you envision carrying around $50.00 in the new coins in your pocket as opposed to $50.00 in paper in your wallet?

No I can't envision it. I also can't envision why anyone ever would do it.

The dollar bill ain't going anywhere. The bottom line is the company that makes the paper for dollar bills in in Massachusetts. As long as Ted Kennedy is alive (hopefully that won't be too much longer) there will be no change in U.S. policy that adversely effects his state.

Of course Kennedy really has no say in the matter. the power lies with the Federal Reserve. If they stop ordering dollar bills and start ordering twos and dollar coins (by the way the Fed has GREATLY increased their orders of twos recently.) then the BEP will stop printing ones. We don't NEED any legislation to end the printing of dollar bills.

Apparently the efforts to keep the $1 FRN alive are bipartisan and includes not only Kennedy but Trent Lott who's constituency includes cotton farmers. BEP employees are also against eliminating the $1 FRN. I'm guessing any FED employee that decides to discontinue the $1 FRN may be putting his/her job on the line. Perhaps we need someone who is about to retire?

The bottom line is the dollar has the same buying power today as the quarter did forty years ago.

Think about it: how many things have you purchased in the last week that were $1 or less?

Let's say you're buying a 79 cent pack of gum: Isn't it easier to pull a coin out of your pocket than pull your whole damned wallet out?

My God, how many times did I miss the San Diego Trolley (when i lived there) because the damned ticket machine would not accept the dollar bill I was trying to feed it?

How many times have you fought with a vending machine that kept spitting out an perfectly good dollar bill?

I've said it before and I will say it again: Dollar Coin Now, Dollar Coin tomorrow, Dollar Coin forever.

Of course Kennedy really has no say in the matter. the power lies with the Federal Reserve. If they stop ordering dollar bills and start ordering twos and dollar coins (by the way the Fed has GREATLY increased their orders of twos recently.) then the BEP will stop printing ones. We don't NEED any legislation to end the printing of dollar bills.

Umm... 31 U.S.C. §5115(a)(2) says: "(The notes) shall be in a form and in denominations of at least one dollar that the Secretary prescribes."

There is no other law that prescribes other denominations. It is up to the Secretary of the Treasury to formally decide which notes to print. So BEP cannot stop printing $1 FRNs unless congress changes the law!

Scott hi.gif

Edited to add URL to citation

Scott,

So you're saying that if the secretary of the treasury chooses, we could have a note valued at 18.23689 dollars? Weird.

Zach

Just like he could tell BEP to print a $3 bill!

Who would be on the $3 bill?

How about Monica Lewinsky with a blue area on the bill, with a white watermark?

I still say it's all about Ted Kennedy. God I hate him.

Politics are strictly forbidden on these boards, even apparently ones from the Civil War. Mod Button Hit. mad.gif