• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How old is a PCGS Green Label? Can you tell the age of a slab by the number?

11 posts in this topic

Hi!

I'm not framilliar with PCGS at all. How old is a PCGS green label?

Also, is there a trick to tell the age of a slab (PCGS or NGC) based on the number?

You know, how antique pocket watch dealers can tell the year of a movement by the serial number?

I believe the PCGS labels are from the late 1980s. I was able to find an approximate date using the images at sampleslabs.com, that is maintained by Conder. It is wonderful to help identify the approximate date of older slabs.

Scott hi.gif

PCGS could tell you from the serial number but they won't. They have a vested interest in maintaining the myth that grading standards haven't changed over the years and all their coins are graded to the same unchanging standards.

I believe the PCGS labels are from the late 1980s. I was able to find an approximate date using the images at sampleslabs.com, that is maintained by Conder. It is wonderful to help identify the approximate date of older slabs.

Scott hi.gif

Just a quick correction. Conder does not own this site. Another board member does.

.....Cameron Kiefer operates that site..

That's right! The Slim Slab Savant from the South himself! (who I'll probably be having lunch with today at some point). grin.gif

jom

However Condor did publish a book on slab varieties. He has them listed in order so you can estimate when a particular slab was used. For example there are two green labels. The earlier one uses a larger font for the serial number which starts where the bar code does. That was changed in 1995 to a smaller font which starts a bit to the right of the bar code.