• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Defining American Silver Eagle Sets

2 posts in this topic

If a collector is collecting Morgan Silver Dollars he must have examples from every year and mint to have a complete set. Why then is the American Silver Eagle (ASE) program treated differently? To me an MS ASE set must include both the 2006 and 2006W MS coin to be a complete set. The Proof ASE set should include the 1995, 1995W and the 2006W Reverse Proof to be considered a complete set.

All these coins were minted at different Mints and yet they are ignored as a requirement for a complete set. It may make the sets more difficult to complete, but that is good.

What is NGC's opinion on this?

I will share my opinion on this. I believe a collector should collect what they like and what they feel is “complete”. Some opt of a registry set for guidance, others for each coin listed in a book, and others what their budget can afford them to. At the end of the day, no way is incorrect to collect as long as that person enjoys it.

Jay Turner

NGC Grader and Attributor