• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Britannia in gold thread

7 posts in this topic

Recently I posted a pic of the 2007 Canada Gold Shinplaster Banknote Britannia I found on Talisman Coins. Now I ran across a UK commem with Britannia so I decided to create a thread to keep track of Britannia in gold.

Canada_2007_300-Dollar-Gold_Shinplaster-Britannia.jpg

Damn, those are pretty.
I think so too! smile.gif
Zoins, is taxfreegold a reasonable place to buy current foreign bullion, or is the exchange rate just too poopy?
I haven't purchased from them but the exchange rate seems great for Americans. You actually get a discount for purchasing in dollars. Check this:

Price: £495

Price: $911

Using current exchange rates according to xe.com:

£495 = $963.15

Regarding Taxfreegold/Chard: I've bought from them awhile back, including a 1997 Britannia 4 coin set, and had no problems.

As I recall the exchange rate was fine though I had to wait awhile...I had a check drawn on a US bank printed with a California address, an APO mailing address, and a Japanese phone number. Oddly enough, they held the check for thirty days before mailing the item.

They have a sucky feedback on ebay which seems to stem from two things. First, they (at least they used to) use stock photos--proof ones at that. Second, they don't do email well--you need to call them. This was a couple years ago, but I've heard they haven't changed. Also, the shipping can be pricey.

But if they have what you want, at the price you want, it's worth it.

Cathy

I'm attempting to add a Really Old Crappy Scan of the set (I haven't posted over here much at all)...but if you want to look at it, it's the 1997 set they have in the picture for the website.

edited to add: never mind--my picture didn't link, but here is a link to theirs: Linkage

Regarding Taxfreegold/Chard: I've bought from them awhile back, including a 1997 Britannia 4 coin set, and had no problems.

As I recall the exchange rate was fine though I had to wait awhile...I had a check drawn on a US bank printed with a California address, an APO mailing address, and a Japanese phone number. Oddly enough, they held the check for thirty days before mailing the item.

They have a sucky feedback on ebay which seems to stem from two things. First, they (at least they used to) use stock photos--proof ones at that. Second, they don't do email well--you need to call them. This was a couple years ago, but I've heard they haven't changed. Also, the shipping can be pricey.

But if they have what you want, at the price you want, it's worth it.

Cathy

I'm attempting to add a Really Old Crappy Scan of the set (I haven't posted over here much at all)...but if you want to look at it, it's the 1997 set they have in the picture for the website.

edited to add: never mind--my picture didn't link, but here is a link to theirs: Linkage

Hey Cathy, welcome to the other side of the street. hi.gif