• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OK, world coin people I got a Sovereign question....

8 posts in this topic

Is there a website I can visit, or book I can get that lists the gold content of classic sovereigns?

For example: 1869 British Soverign... how much gold is in that coin?

Is there a website or book that lists the gold content of the major foreign gold coins?

Thanks.

From 1817 to the present, the UK sovereign is 7.99 grams of 22 KT gold (or .9167 pure). Actual gold content is 7.3244 grams or .2355 troy ounce pure gold. Coin diameter is 22.05 mm. cool.gif

Is there a website I can visit, or book I can get that lists the gold content of classic sovereigns?

For example: 1869 British Soverign... how much gold is in that coin?

Is there a website or book that lists the gold content of the major foreign gold coins?

Thanks.

The Krause Standard Catalog of World Coins (5 volumes, 1601-present) has that information.

After the US, I have seen more coin books for the UK and England than any other country. You could try Spinks. Someone must have written a reference book on these issues. It might not be cheap, but it should have any information you want on this series.