• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What would you get into if you were interested in investing in gold?

What would be your favorite?  

171 members have voted

1. 1. What would be your favorite?

38 posts in this topic

so what you're saying is that we are finally going to see $1,000.00 gold again, like all the soothsayers have been predicting for the past 20 somewhat years??? wink.gif

I can't predict the end result, but if the problems in China aren't resolved, you may very well see a big jump in all precious metals.

Chris

It is simply a hedge to protect a portion of one's wealth from depreciating fiat currencies.

Ding! Ding! Ding!

This is my whole point for being interested in gold.

I hear the argument in favor of plain bullion bars. But if I can get a classic double eagle for a relatively small premium, then it will always be a doulbe eagle.

sign-rantpost.gif

I'm just really worried about the direction of this country. Too many people voting the way someone else tells them to. Be it their minister, the head of their labor union, a lobbyist, a blogger, AARP, the NAACP, NRA, etc. too many people are not informing themselves enough to make an intellegent decision on their own. This whole "anything is better than what we have" thing going on right now has happened before: 1930's Germany.

A major crash of the value of the dollar could very well be the last straw. People in this country will not stand in soup lines now like they did in the Depression.

The governments in Middle-Eastern Oil Producing countries are rich today becasue they control oil prices today, BUT they are FILTHY rich because during the Second World War they very wisely demanded bullion for payment.

I'm telling you: gold is the only real money.

sign-rantpost.gif over.

smile.gif

The governments in Middle-Eastern Oil Producing countries are rich today becasue they control oil prices today, BUT they are FILTHY rich because during the Second World War they very wisely demanded bullion for payment.

I don't disagree with the overall tone in the post quoted above, but I think the author is misinformed concerning where middle eastern oil producing countries got their wealth.

A very small percentage of their wealth is associated with taking gold for payments during WWII. They got filthy rich because of the control over oil prices that OPEC provided subsequent to its forming in 1960, and not because they took gold in payment during the six year period of the war.

That's not to say that gold isn't an excellent hedge against inflation/dollar devaluation -- because it is and I put my money where my mouth is -- but only that I'm not sure it is accurate to portray middle eastern wealth is attributable to the method of payment for oil from fifty years ago.

Respectfully submitted...Mike

well i do not see the gloom and doom happening or china collapseing

i see communism collapsing but there will be and there currently is much suffering due to communism

it will take close to a generation to get china back on track after the fall of the red menace..........

such is life..........

but for me rare usa gold coinage is still better than any form of gold bullion

some gold bullion type hedges are good and a fully divirsisved portfolio is still the smartest and best way to go but rare coins are still way better than putting yourself in all bullion

...but I think the author is misinformed concerning where middle eastern oil producing countries got their wealth....

Well, maybe I'm wrong. It's happened a few times before. wink.gif

All I know is all these poor smucks who have all their wealth in 401(k)s based on fiat currency and a real-estate bubble that will burst when the markets do will wish they listened to me. (I'm talking about non coin people... most coin people understand where I'm coming from)

Liberty double eagles - preferable civil war and pre civil war dates.

The original poster want to invest in gold. These are rare numismatic items and sell for multiples of their bullion value so he probably wouldn't be interested in these.