• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

sanity check on a recent purchase

4 posts in this topic

I purchased my first slab Morgans at Parsippany last week and am curious if I did ok since I have never bought a slabbed dollar before. Common date Morgans 1882 - 1887 MS64. Older holders to me very nice eye appeal pure white no toning. $50 each sound reasonable? Of course the dealer told me it's a great deal and from what I have seen on feebay I think it's ok, maybe one or two worth less and one or two worth more. What say you?

I left that out because I believe it's thought PCGS is tougher. They are all NGC in holders that only list date denomination grade and serial number. NGC is not spelled out on the label and I believe from what I have read it's an older slab. I had heard they might have been more strict in grading in years gone by and are all real good looking dollars.

You know, this would get more attention posted in the “US Coins” section. The money market is just if you have coins that you are selling or want to buy. In any event, it’s here so I’ll respond to it here.

I think I know what you are talking about – the old “fatty” holders. They look something like a bar of ivory soap? PCGS or NGC doesn’t much matter in this instance. I just wanted to make sure it wasn’t one of the ridiculous TPGs.

Like I said earlier this isn’t my area so I’m really guessing (particularly so since I can’t see the coins) but I think you did well; not a “rip”; and you didn’t get “ripped” but you did well. Hopefully, some folks with more intimate knowledge of this area will chime in.

If you haven’t yet looked, the heritage auction archives are a great reference for selling prices of coins. You could look there and see what your coins sold for in recent auctions.