• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NGC slab not sealed well...

12 posts in this topic

Hello all,

First of all, yes I did ask this on the "Ask NGC" section, but the average time to receive an answer on that board is about a week.

I noticed last night that one of my multi-coin slabs is not sealed well on one side.

When you hold the slab looking at the end and squeeze it from front to back, you can see it opening and closing slightly. Also, you can get a fingernail in the gap on that edge, but not other edges.

I assume this is covered by NGC... right?

That's a little scary. Imagine if it were open enough to slip the coin out and substitute.
With a little more coaxing, it might end up like zrlevin's holder. Another reason why it's important to buy the coin and not the ... yada yada wink.gif

Truth be told, I doubt I could get a piece of paper to go through. My big concern is oxygen/humidity. These are PF-70s in the slab.
I thought even fully-sealed slabs don't have moisture proof barriers ... which is one reason why collectors of old copper prefer their coins unslabbed, or so I've heard.

However, I could see it being important to fix to keep the grade guarantee valid.