• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Modern renditions of Liberty: Lady Liberty, Britannia, Marianne, etc.

2 posts in this topic

One of my interests is finding modern renditions of Liberty as an allegorical woman including Lady Liberty, Britannia, Marianne and others. The post-WWII era is of particular interest because renditions of allegorical women seem to drastically decline after the war. The exception is British Britannia bullion which is very abundant.

After reading and participating in Daniel Carr's new fantasy Trade Dollar thread ATS, I thought I'd ask if anyone has any post-WWII renditions of allegorical Liberty (aside from British bullion which has their own threads already)?

Here is what I consider a modern SCD commemorating Churchill as an Honorary Citizen of the US. He was made the first honorary citizen of the US by Congress in 1963 and died two years later. What I like about this is the reverse where Britannia has both British and American shields. How often do you see Liberty with the shields of two countries? Also check out the muscles on her arm. Many renditions of Liberty I have seen do not have "lean muscle". It's not in the best condition but good enough for me right now given my other collecting priorities (it's very cheap but I just don't want to deal with it).

Churchill_1965_Friend-and-Honorary-Citizen-of-the-US_600x300.jpg

That's a cool medal you got there.

I suppose you are looking forward to the "Jefferson's Liberty" First Lady gold coin later this year as well as the Bachelor Presidents Liberty First Lady coins in the future...

JeffersonLibertyObv.jpg