• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

First day of Issue Business Strike Wasington Dollars... I'm so confused.

13 posts in this topic

OK, here's my question:

Let's say I go to my local bank (the tellers in the lobby of the Bank of America World Headquarters here in Charlotte) and buy some rolls of Washington Dollars next Thursday.

I then walk a block and a half to FedEx and over-night ten or so of those dollars to NGC.

NGC receives them on Friday the 15th.

Will they qualify for 'First Day of Issue' slabs from NGC?

If not then how in the heck is an 'everyday collector' like me supposed to get 'First Day of Issue' Business Strikes without buying them from TVCoinShopping or something like that?

• Administrator

Yes. Your coins will qualify if they arrive at NGC on the day immediately following the issue date.

Here is an excerpt from the article recently posted by NGC about the submission of Presidential Dollars:

A special designation, FIRST DAY OF ISSUE, will be available for coins released on the official release date. To qualify, coins must be received by NGC on the official release date or by overnight mail or air carrier on the day immediately following the official release date. The first coin of the Presidential $1 Coin series, George Washington, goes into circulation on February 15, 2007, and to qualify for the FIRST DAY OF ISSUE designation, coins must be received by NGC no later than February 16, 2007.

Read the complete article here for more details

This is an issue I always wondered about. What gets me is that NGC will not encapsulate a first day of mintage coin from the special collectibles issues, yet they will do it for all these TV shows.

Now the mints own description from first day covers is that the coins were minted on the first day. Why won't they encapsulate these if the envelopes are still sealed?

I would think they will have a first day cover for the Washington dollars, just like they did for the sacagawea dollars.....

MM confused-smiley-013.gif

Anybody else having problems getting their bank to say when and if they will have any of these?

My bank office tells me that they ordered them, but they do not know if they will actually receive any and if they do receive them she can not tell me when.

frustrated.gif

Anybody else having problems getting their bank to say when and if they will have any of these?

My bank office tells me that they ordered them, but they do not know if they will actually receive any and if they do receive them she can not tell me when.

frustrated.gif

Hi, MercP

I am also getting the same type of responses from my Bank of America officers, it is very frustrating. Christo_pull_hair.gif

AAJ

Would it be cool if the First Day of Issue insert had a stamp that was canceled on the issue date on the insert in the slab? Something like the First Day of Issue stamp letters but with slabs.... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

My wachovia teller tells me they expected to get them in Thursday in their regular cash shipment, but they didn't get any. She thought they might come in this coming Thursday but she wasn't sure.

My credit union said that they would have them available on Thursday.

But she also said that if they come early they could not give them out early.

Rookie Joe

Still, talk to your bank. Someone on the PCGS forum from I believe New York has already managed to get some from his bank. I wonder, if he sends them in now can he get a Before First Day of Issue label? laugh.gif

Still, talk to your bank. Someone on the PCGS forum from I believe New York has already managed to get some from his bank. I wonder, if he sends them in now can he get a Before First Day of Issue label? laugh.gif

Sounds like a teller decided to ignore the law.