• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

I have a walker question

3 posts in this topic

I have noticed in a lot of photos of UNC walker halves, that there is a "Halo" area on the obverse. The first few times I saw it, I assumed it was maybe toning, however, after aquiring a few myself, I am seeing it is somthing to do with the metal flow of the strike it seems. There may be a thread already discussing it, but I did not find it. Has anyone heard a plausible explanation for it?

37walker2.jpg

MM confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes, it's metal flow. The eagle on the reverse sucks up the medal and leaves it's ghost on the obverse. This is often a weakly struck spot right down the eagle's outstretched wing on the corrisponding spot to Ms. Liberty's body on the reverse.

You can also see this effect on Barber half dollars where the metal flow affected by the eagle on the reverse leaves a "V" shaped halo on the obverse.