• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

"Early Releases"

3 posts in this topic

OK,

I was out of it (coin collecting) for a few months so I missed all the hub-bub,

1) "Early Releases" has replaced "First Strikes" true?

2) The submission process is still pretty much the same, yes?

3) Does NGC publish the date requirements by coin anywhere? That is to say "All Jamestown Commemorative Dollars must be submitted with a ship date from the Mint no later than _______"

I'm really don't care that much about the "first strike" or "early release" thing, but if I'm sending in a coin anyway, and it's just a difference of sending it in today or tomorrow to make a difference on the "early release" thing I might as well send it in a day earlier right?

ALSO: If I send a coin to NGC that is still sealed in the mint packaging, will NGC return to mint packaging (not the shipping box, just the jewel case the coin came in, etc.

OK,

I was out of it (coin collecting) for a few months so I missed all the hub-bub,

"Early releases" has replaced "First Strikes", but now it costs extra to get the designation. This should really divide the people who care about the designation from those that dont. I think it is now an extra buck and a half for any special designation.

The submission process IS still pretty much the same.

Does NGC publish the date requirements by coin anywhere? Dont really know although there is typically a protocol listed on their website if available. it is typically 30 days from the release of the coin and the designation only applies to certain coins (eagles, buffaloes). I do not believe the commemoratives are eligible for the early release desingnation.

Yes NGC will ship everything back to you sans shipping box if you ask them. Sometimes the jewel case is not returned because of damage caused by opening it. On the invoice just state you want everything back.

J

1) Yes.

2) No.

The FIRST STRIKES designation required only that the coins be shipped from the Mint within the first month of their official release. For Mint State coins the requirement was even looser - that the coins were struck and packaged prior to January 31 of the enclosed coins' dated year. In all cases you could ship the coins to NGC and request the designation at any time, as long as the coins arrived at NGC in sealed packages containing the appropriate dated documentation. For example, you could submit a green monster box on March 12, 2006 containing 2006 Silver Eagles struck on August 11, 2005 and you'd receive the designation. As an even clearer example, this is why you can find various back dated (1986-2005) Silver Eagles in FIRST STRIKES holders - people had kept unopened monster boxes with the dated packing slip inside.

For complete information, read NGC Authentication of First Strikes Coinage.

The EARLY RELEASES designation, by contrast, requires that NGC (or an NGC approved depository) receive the coins within 30 days of their official release. This is a stricter criterion. In the above 2006 Silver Eagle scenario, the coins would not have been eligible for the EARLY RELEASES designation had it been in effect.

For complete information, read NGC Offers Early Releases Pedigree for U.S. Bullion Coinage.

3) No. I submitted an inquiry regarding this awhile back on "Ask NGC" and never received a response.

Commemorative coins aren't eligible for the EARLY RELEASES designation. At present, only U.S. bullion coins qualify.

Beijim