• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just got my first Morgan Star

32 posts in this topic

I just picked up my last NGC submission at the post office. Got my first and only star after 232 coins. 893applaud-thumb.gif

1885o_star.jpg

Let me know if you want to come over and take a peek at it.

I was kind of disappointed that was the only star out of this submission. I had several others that I thought would make it, but that was the only one.

Thanks Hoot. I really was expecting a second star on this submission, but no dice. Here is a list of the rest of the submission with links to the images:

NGC List

It's hard to tell from a photo, but the surfaces look rather clean for an MS64.

I also love that light blue color (reverse) on these coins. On most any other coin it is AT, but it is "somewhat" common on Morgans.

I can feel your pain about the Star designation. I've sent in several coins I was sure would get the Star, but they didn't. frown.gif

I agree with the 64, there are some light marks you can't see. I expected it to come back as a 64.

Four of the coins came out of an album page that had straps, that is where the stripes came from. The blue on these are really nice, and natural.

NGC seems to be really tough in handing out the star. I was surprised to find out they have given stars to less than fifty 85-O's. Considering the population of MS 85-O's, that is amazing.

Nice coins but i think NGC did the right thing giving the star only to the 85-O. After looking at all the pics the 85-O seems to be the only one that just about anyone would look at and saw WOW. The others are nice but are coins that have appeal to some people but not all types of people. I don't know anything about getting a star but from looking at your submission it looks like if you want a star on a toned coin it needs to have colors that would make a fan of Blast white coins stop and take a long look.

Thanks for sharing

I disagree. That second 81-S is semi prooflike on the obverse, and full prooflike on the reverse with magnificent colors. That really should have got the star.

Pretty coin. Im a newbie with NGCs understanding the star disignation. My first impression from the photo without first reading on this thread was its looks and probably a gem but the softer strike dropped it to 64. Does the star means its almost a 65 but if this is the first after 264 submissions than maybe eye appeal??

The problem with the 81-s is that almost ALL of them are somewhat prooflike, so that doesn't add anything to those coins. I would guess at that being the reason for no star there. Nice coin, nonetheless.

Does the star means its almost a 65 but if this is the first after 264 submissions than maybe eye appeal??

Yes, the star means it has eye appeal, not necessarily PQ, like a lot of dealers think and sell them for large premiums.

Although the STAR coins do deserve a premium, you're right. The STAR does not mean it is ohhh so close to the next grade, just an Eye Appealing coin at the grade level it is at.

-All you Morgans are pretty.

The STAR does not mean it is ohhh so close to the next grade, just an Eye Appealing coin at the grade level it is at.

I own one coin that has the * designation. It is rather low end for the grade. In fact, the toning (eye appeal) probably bumped it to its current grade level.

islemangu, for other mints that may be a soft strike, but for an O mint coin, thats a very good strike! grin.gif

oh and great coin K6AZ! congrats! smile.gif

Thanks GP. By the way, I like that icon! Looks like Scrooge McDuck.

The strike on the NGC MS64* 85-O is slightly above average, it is by no means weakly struck. 85-O's can be found anywhere from weak pancake strikes to needle sharp strikes. Here is the 85-O in my #1 set:

1885o_pcgs65.jpg

I own a 82-S Morgan that is a very good example that the Star is only given for eye appeal. I purchased the coin in the middle 80's raw. It was sent in for grading to NGC around 1989 or 1990, it came back a 67. In my opinion this coin is not 67. About 6 or 7 months later I broke the coin out and resubmitted it again, for the simple reason that I just did not want what I considered an over graded coin in my collection. It came back again as 67.

About 5 or 6 months ago after hearing that NGC had tighten up on grading I resubmitted the coin again. It again came back a 67, but with the star designation. I am going to keep the coin in it's present holder as an example that the star is only given to coins for the eye appeal factor.

The coin has made believers out of a couple of guys who always talk up the star as a sign of a high end coin for the grade.

Art, Interesting story. Your Morgan returned from NGC each time submitted raw as MS67 (the last time a STAR!). That tells me NGC is consistent and YOU are a conservative grader! You're the perfect Collector to buy raw coins from.

STAR coins deserve a premium, but NOT because they are on the edge of the next higher grade.

You and Greg have proven that.

At the last Long Beach I sent in 50 coins for star review and 7 came back with it.....they are very targeted on the star.

I get the feeling that NGC is a little tight on giving out the * when a coin is first submitted. I've heard a lot of dealers complain that their coins don't get the * designation when first submitted and that they have to send them back for designation review.

It's better to be tight than loose (NOT with grades, but with the STAR). The 'enduser' (read: Collector) will appreciate it.

It's better to be tight than loose (NOT with grades, but with the STAR). The 'enduser' (read: Collector) will appreciate it.

I agree somewhat, but I still view it as being somewhat inconsistent - even if it is with the most subjective of all grading criteria.

Tight with *'s can be good. For example, that GWC commem that I purchased from TBT at the last Long Beach did not get the * designation when he submitted it at the show. It did get the designation when I resubmitted it for designation review. That's great for me since I'm sure the coin would have been much more expensive had it received the * designation when he had submitted it, but not great for him.

Still, I like the * and hope that NGC expands it to foreign coins.

Another thing on the Star. You will very seldom see this designation given to Textile Toned Dollars. I don't know what holds them back maybe the graders consider the textile distracting and takes away from the over all eye appeal of the coin. Textile is one of those elements you either love or hate.

Art,

If that's true, that's absurd IMO. Everyone who knows and/or collects toned dollars knows that the textile pattern is the most desirable, expensive, and the rarest type of toning. If ANYTHING should get a star rating, it should be pieces that have textile patterns.

dragon

Pat, I never have considered my self that conservative, especially on the technical side of grading, strike, marks etc. I will admit that I will not normally bump up a coin as much as the grading services for the eye appeal factor.

Howard:

It seems to be true in my case and a friends case. We had a little bet going. We would both send in 10 or 15 coins, and whoever received the most stars wins. In my group I sent in 4 of my most attractive textile dollars, none received the star. My friend sent in 6 which also in my eye were very attractive coins, none of his coins received the star either.

Another thing on the Star. You will very seldom see this designation given to Textile Toned Dollars. I don't know what holds them back maybe the graders consider the textile distracting and takes away from the over all eye appeal of the coin. Textile is one of those elements you either love or hate.

You say "very seldom see this designation given to Textile Toned Dollars". If you have seen the * given to these coins, then perhaps the graders just didn't feel your coins merited the designation? If you've never seen a * on one of these coins, perhaps they really won't give it to these coins.

This might be a good question to ask on the Ask NGC forum.

Greg, I have seen 3 or 4, but the textile on these coins was not very prominent. Very light the kind you have to tilt or rotate to get a view of the textile.

If you have seen the * given to these coins, then perhaps the graders just didn't feel your coins merited the designation?

That's For Sure.