• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ocean view "extra branch"

11 posts in this topic

Thanks for the info!

After looking at the various different examples, my nickel looks similar to the CDDR-002 variety noted in the Nov/Dec 06 copy of the Die Variety News. However, the extra branch on my nickel is shaped more like an arrowhead and points up to the left, rather than down to the left as in the CDDR-002.

Thanks for the info!

After looking at the various different examples, my nickel looks similar to the CDDR-002 variety noted in the Nov/Dec 06 copy of the Die Variety News. However, the extra branch on my nickel is shaped more like an arrowhead and points up to the left, rather than down to the left as in the CDDR-002.

That is one that I do not have in my files yet. If possible, I would sincerely appreciate the opportunity to examine/photograph and publish in my upcoming online DVN Magazine.

I can be contacted via PM.

Congrats on a nice find!

Billy G. Crawford

Billy,

I'd be glad to send the coin to you to examine, etc.

Please let me know where/how I should send the coin to you.

Thanks,

John

John,,

I'm going to send you a PM. Thanks!

BTW -- Welcome to the forum.

Billy

John and All:

Below are a couple of photos I did on your OIV DDR. It is now officially assigned in my "C" files as 2005-P 5c OIV SMS CDDR-047.

The top photo provides an overall, wide-angle view of the doubling.

The bottom is a closer view. One can easily see that this is a massive, totally separated doubling of the near complete extra tree trunk along with prominent raised remnants of the two lower left branches of the center tree extending way outward in the open field. The total separation distance on this OIV CDDR-047 makes the 1955 1c DDO a wimp! I'm not putting down the 55 DDO since the doubling on that variety encompasses the obverse lettering and date and is rightfully of course a famous variety in its own right. However, when one calculates the distance in separation between the first and second hubbing on this CDDR-047 shown here, is much, much wider when one compares to the distance in separation exhibited between the lettering on the 55 1c DDO!

Congratulations on the super find! Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to examine and photograph your coin. This OIV CDDR-047 along with many others will be highlighted in my upcoming Mar/Apr issue of the online Die Variety News Magazine. I'm working hard on the issue and should be out in about another week or so.

I hope the photos meet your expectations.

2005poivcddr47p1.jpg

2005poivcddr47p2.jpg