• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tennessee Clad Proof Quarter Die Crack

17 posts in this topic

OK, I removed the coin from my album, here it is... an NGC message board exclusive. You saw it here first laugh.gif hehe

tncrack.jpg

"George on a stick", "spiked neck", whatever ya wanna call it wink.gif

220772-tncrack.jpg.bc61e082cfe601fde156e11bfcb023d1.jpg

Ya, I saw the circulation strike Kennedy with greased filled die featured on CONECA's recent finds page. They were really quick to report the 2003 Sac "with what appears to be" a die crack, too blush.gif Looks like a scratch to me tongue.gif

2003SSacDollarSpikedMirco.jpg

I never said it couldn't be, it's just impossible to tell from THAT picture. And a greased filled die error on a business strike is about as common as mud, come on. Only reason it's there is because a CONECA member reported it, I have to assume. Compared to those, this must be the most exciting thing they've seen in months tongue.gif hehe laugh.gif

2002P50cStrkThruMicro.jpg

I find them somewhat boring, myself. My comment was on rarity, not preference. Grease filled dies are common on business strikes. Proof die cracks aren't. That alone tells me something is screwy in error land.

I have an uncirculated 1883 Shield Nickel with a substantial die-crack on the obverse. Am I correct in my logic that this detracts from the coin and lowers its value?

My die crack is considered uncommon only because it's on a proof, which are subject to more careful scrutiny than business strikes. You might have a variety, like a "scar face" Morgan, but in general they don't affect value much one way or the other.

I love die cracks on uncirculated shield nickels that go all around the reverse of the coin in a jagged circle pattern. I think those look very cool, otherwise they're not too appealing to me.