• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Some people (dealers) are such [take advantage of gullable people]

37 posts in this topic

I much prefer buying current mint products from dealers instead of from the mint. The mint fulfillment center has messed up my orders enough times that I would rather not deal with them again.

My company is willing to pay me for my expertise and likewise I have no problem paying someone else for theirs. I can also walk out with the coins in hand instead of waiting up to 6 months for the fulfillment center to get the order right on in stock merchandise as has happened in the past. My time and peace of mind are worth more than the few dollars extra I give the dealer.

Waxon - just because you know a dealers cost and source does not mean you can call that person a thief. If you don't like the price, don't buy it.

I sell stuff still available from the mint at a markup (at this point in time the mint's price is my replacement cost) - I could care less what you think about it. Where I buy my inventory or how I price it is really none of your business.

One thing too - many USM issues the mint is selling advance in the secondary market once the mint stops selling them. I recently bought 10 of the 2006-W burnished unc $10 gold eagles from a dealer who walked them up to my table at a show for $1995 (which the mint was selling at the time for $190 apice). Hey I paid the dealer more money than the mint was selling them for - now CDN Bid is $240 each or $2400 for my 10 pieces. Not a bad deal for me. I think people sometimes have tunnelvision.

Wax,

I would *love* to make 17% on some of the less popular product that comes out.

I would *love* to not be stuck with the leftovers the nobody wanted.

I would *love* to hire part timers and not pay them benefits.

I would *love* to make more than $100-150 on a $9K bag of 90% silver.

I do *love* sleeping well at night knowing I support 10 families, work a closely as possible without going under, and still manage to take some home at the end of a week.

Some people don't want two rolls of each. They want a coin or two to put in folders, etc.

The bottled water was a good example. Most industries focus on a triple cost markup. That 300%.

So your local neighborhood business owner buys product XYZ, prices it triple key, and does not offer a quantity discount, price haggling, etc.

I think the crook light is pointed in the wrong direction for the double-face dollar sellers.

flamed.gif

Like I said above, this is my real problem with this particular situation...

Many people (general public, not collectors) are not aware that they can buy directly from the Mint.

Example:

Recently, I forwarded a link to the Mint's press release on the up-comming commemorative of the Little Rock High School Desegregation to a co-worker because I knew she would be interested in it as she is interested in the history of the Civil Rights Movement.

She asked me "Will I be able to buy these at a bank, or will I have to go to a coin shop?" She was surprised when I told her "just go to USMint.gov and order it direct."

Get my point? Probably not.

makepoint.gif

flamed.gif

Many people (general public, not collectors) are not aware that they can buy directly from the Mint.

Example:

Recently, I forwarded a link to the Mint's press release on the up-comming commemorative of the Little Rock High School Desegregation to a co-worker because I knew she would be interested in it as she is interested in the history of the Civil Rights Movement.

She asked me "Will I be able to buy these at a bank, or will I have to go to a coin shop?" She was surprised when I told her "just go to USMint.gov and order it direct."

makepoint.gif

I get your (revised) point. That's quite different from the way you originally stated it, though.

flamed.gif

Example:

makepoint.gif

I get your (revised) point. That's quite different from the way you originally stated it, though.

I don't think I've revied my point, I've just clarified it.
Are you still of the opinion that dealers who buy directly from the mint and re-sell the items at significant % mark-ups, are "thieves"? If so, you have not revised your point, but respondents to this thread disagree with you. If not, you have revised your original point/opinion.