• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Clarification of Modern Commemorative Grades

2 posts in this topic

For modern commemorative Ultra Cameo proofs, what separates a 69 from a 70? Is the unopened original packaging requirement in force even post-first-strike?

I ordered several items from the US Mint only to realize later that I may want to submit the gold commemorative for grading (but not the others). If the US Mint ships all coins in one package, am I "up the creek"?

Thanks!

Only 20th Anniversary sets and Millennium sets need to be submitted in the original mint package to be designated as such. Commemorative coins, proof sets and other mint issues not given special designations are do not. The 20th anniversary sets need to be submitted in the original unopened mint shipping container to receive the designation, since these sets are not sealed. The Millennium set needs to be submitted intact and complete to get the designation.

Each coin is graded on its own merit, the grade has no reflection on if the coin was received in mint packaging or not. While less handling is better and coins submitted in unopened capsules or proof sets yield better grades do to this fact, a coin will be called a 69 or 70 if it truly makes the grade regardless of how it was submitted, it is condition not packaging that determines grade.