• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think of these gold coins?

12 posts in this topic

I am looking to fill in some of my gold type coins for my us type set. What do you think is the better coin and why?

1861 2.50 Gold Quarter Eagle

4d9a1oz9.jpg53a81pb9.jpg

1901 - $5.00 Liberty Head Gold Coin

4db01ho5.jpg4e721fm6.jpg

1926 GOLD QUARTER EAGLE

be0e1oo2.jpgbec31tp4.jpg

1906 2 1/2 dollar gold coin

9e871qq8.jpgdb731yp4.jpg

1882 FIVE DOLLAR US GOLD

00f61xb7.jpg01671jk2.jpg

Or to go with a Barber proof - 1897 Proof++ Barber Quarter

c7421bir4.jpgc7641iq8.jpg

I also meant to say that I have about $200. Right now I could only get one of these and then I would have to think of something else to get.

I was thinking about that but the picture is not that great. The auction mentions that it is in AU condition. Hard to tell from the photo's.

It might just be the image, but I am not convinced that the 1861 Quarter Eagle is genuine. I'd definitely stay clear of it.

The 1901 $5 piece looks like an AU example.

The 1926 Quarter Eagle looks AU or better.

The image of the 1906 Quarter Eagle doesn't allow for a good enough look to determine its genuineness or its grade, if genuine.

Ditto for the 1882 $5 piece, which looks like it might be cleaned, anyway.

The 1897 Barber Quarter looks dipped and, like most Proof coins, probably displays more obvious hairlines in person than in the image. Also, that type of coin is either Proof or not - there is no such thing as "Proof ++".

Bottom line - if you can't grade and determine a coin''s authenticity on your own, don't buy an uncertified example. That is especially true for gold coins, (which are heavily counterfeited) and/or more expensive pieces.

1. Don't buy raw gold coins until you know what you're doing (can identify a counterfeit, can identify a cleaned or otherwise "problem" coin).

2. Especially don't buy raw gold coins on the Internet until you know what you're doing and then only from a trusted seller. (Even if you have a good return policy, why go through the hassle and cost of sending the coin back?)

It might just be the image, but I am not convinced that the 1861 Quarter Eagle is genuine. I'd definitely stay clear of it.

The 1901 $5 piece looks like an AU example.

The 1926 Quarter Eagle looks AU or better.

The image of the 1906 Quarter Eagle doesn't allow for a good enough look to determine its genuineness or its grade, if genuine.

Ditto for the 1882 $5 piece, which looks like it might be cleaned, anyway.

The 1897 Barber Quarter looks dipped and, like most Proof coins, probably displays more obvious hairlines in person than in the image. Also, that type of coin is either Proof or not - there is no such thing as "Proof ++".

Bottom line - if you can't grade and determine a coin''s authenticity on your own, don't buy an uncertified example. That is especially true for gold coins, (which are heavily counterfeited) and/or more expensive pieces.

--------------------

Mark Feld

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifYou are playing with fire if this is how you purchase your coins

thumbsup2.gif

please do not spend any money on coins from sleezebay

as a beginner you got to join a coin club or find a really good dealer locally you find comfortable with and only buy sight seen in hand with a full return priviledge or get someone who knows coins to go with you to pick out a gold coins and make sure it is all there problem free and value for the price

Hi Dwaine! I really like the Barber half-dollar. I am leery of the gold coins, mostly on the basis of authenticity. For coins of the EF - AU range, certification does become somewhat arguable, as you are probably paying mostly for the gold content, and not a grade premium, so you are probably OK to buy them at spot. Please make sure your dealer has a valid guarantee on these coins.

Regarding appearance, the Indian quarter-eagle is a lovely coin, but the first coin imaged (which looks like 1891) looks processed, even in these blurry images. The 1901 seems quite a bit more original. I don't like the one in the Capital holder at all (looks to glossy).