• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Would it be nice if coin club medals were personalized?

5 posts in this topic

I've noticed that many 19th and early 20th century medals were designed to be inscribed while many modern medals aren't. After picking up the following 1927 stamp expo medal which is inscribed for "Pedro G. Fagio" I started wondering about the state of stamp collecting in 1927 and what Pedro Fagio's life would have been like. Would it be would nice to have coin club medals be designed for inscription and inscribing attendee names on them? Imagine inheriting a collection from your grandfather (or grandmother) with inscribed medals from coin collecting events he (or she) attended.

What do you think? Is this inscribing medals something that coin clubs should bring back?

Also let me know what you think of the medal. It's high relief without a raised rim and the nose happens to be the highest part.

Montevideo_1927_Exposicion-Filatelica-Internacional_600x300.jpg

I'm not generally into plugging one forum another where I'm posting, but....

A subgroup of collectors at another forum I frequent, calling ourselves the Knights of the Coin Table (yeah, hokey but it works for us smile.gif ), have commissioned a Daniel Carr-designed, one-ounce silver round club commemorative. It is, as you would expect from Mr. Carr, a gorgeous design and we're quite pumped about seeing it become a reality over the next month or so.

Definately post your commem when it's ready. I'd love to see the design. I have a couple of Daniel Carr's pieces and think they're great.

To celebrate King Arthur's modern knights, here's a geocoin from the Knights of the Ammo Box geocacher group. It is so hokey it has a chalice and an embedded sword! I couldn't resist!

I covered up part of the serial number as it is important for geocaching.

Knights-of-the-Ammo-Box_2006_Denbighshire-Cache-Event_yellow_600x300.jpg

no

i usually sell mine right after i get it and personalized then no one would want my medal

also it really pi$$ed off some of the former prez when i sold it immediately at the same club auction i got it at

the pi$$ed off part is just a bouus for me

oh well i rather have the scratch, gelt, bananas, moolah

(cash)

they will survive

That is a cool medal. I'm not sure I would want it to have someones name on it though. It is cool to the person it is made for, and maybe 50 to 100 years later when you can wonder who the person was, but if recently made I think it would have limited appeal unless the person was famous or a relative or something like that.

The one that Jamie Franki just designed for my coin club, which also is the 07 ANA Money show medal, is limited to a mintage of 300 and has the number engraved on the outer edge. I have two of them, one is inscribed 008/300 and the other is 084/300. This, in my opinion, makes the medal more appealing because it makes each one unique and reminds you what the total mintage was.

Here is a picture of the medal. I didn't take a picture of the number on the edge though.

Medal2.jpg

Medal3.jpg