• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NEWP 1796 Liberty cap

18 posts in this topic

Yes, it really is that dark. The reds show up a little more in the photo than in the hand. For a corroded coin, I really like it. I find it much more attractive than the coins with the entire surface covered with porousity and verdigris.

I've really enjoyed the recent threads on early copper here and would enjoy any comments (positive and negative) about this coin. If it looks familiar to some of you, I posted it ATS a little while back. Then I had to wait a while for the images of TDNs NEWP to fade from where they burned themselves into your retinas.

Thanks, Jerry

obvcoin2-1.jpg

revcoin2-1.jpg

This is quite a coin you have - a Sheldon 85 (S-85). The coin is an R5+, which is 31-45 estimated survivors. The coin you show, I'd grade VF30 details, F15 net, A-. I would not call the coin scudzy (an 'S' surfaces rating) because the coin does not have major holes, metal moved, or other significantly detrimental features, but it is corroded. Anyhow, I'd put a value on the coin of about $2300, and you might be able to get in the realm of $1750-$2000 for it from a major copper dealer. It's a rare piece, and highly demanded. Personally, i love the detail of the coin, and find it spectacular in its own right.

Hoot

This is quite a coin you have - a Sheldon 85 (S-85). The coin is an R5+, which is 31-45 estimated survivors. The coin you show, I'd grade VF30 details, F15 net, A-. I would not call the coin scudzy (an 'S' surfaces rating) because the coin does not have major holes, metal moved, or other significantly detrimental features, but it is corroded. Anyhow, I'd put a value on the coin of about $2300, and you might be able to get in the realm of $1750-$2000 for it from a major copper dealer. It's a rare piece, and highly demanded. Personally, i love the detail of the coin, and find it spectacular in its own right.

Hoot

Hoot,

Thanks indeed for your kind words. I'm glad to know that my affection for this coin isn't misplaced as I respect your opinion tremendously. ANACS agreed with your VF30 details and I'm glad to hear your net grade is so high. Based on your valuation I guess I'd have to say I accomplished a minor cherrypick here. I got it in the heritage FUN auction. The photo was horrible--they should be ashamed of themselves. I lightened it up, played with it, a friend of mine played with it and we determined there was a lot of detail on this coin. So I, lookin for a 96 liberty cap and appreciating the R-5 attribution, placed what I thought was a pretty strong bid on a weak photo at $1000. Needless to say, there were no other internet bidders. A couple of floor bids and with juice it came to a little over $1100. No, the coin is not for sale.

Thanks,

Jerry

There is significant detail left on that coin and, while obviously corroded, the features are quite sharp and easily discerned. I do not own much early copper, but a piece like this would be welcome in my collection.

Hoot's rarity estimate is a little too high, it's currently a 5- not a 5+ so there are more like 60 - 75 known. I'm not sure I'd give it A- surfaces either unless it looks better in hand. I'd probably net it as a F-12 S+ surfaces and guess the value closer to $1500 or so. Still a good deal. And I like the coin too.

Thanks Condor. I'm happy with your assessment too and I thank you.

I've seen R5+, R5 and R5- for this coin in various places. Where is the best place to get up to day census info?

Thanks,

Jerry

This is a wonderful coin! Thanks for sharing it. grin.gif

The Liberty Cap design is just so romantic to me. It's such a great symbol of early America.

-Amanda

Hoot's rarity estimate is a little too high, it's currently a 5- not a 5+ so there are more like 60 - 75 known. I'm not sure I'd give it A- surfaces either unless it looks better in hand. I'd probably net it as a F-12 S+ surfaces and guess the value closer to $1500 or so. Still a good deal. And I like the coin too.

thumbsup2.gif One of the things that happens, as Conder and other know, is that, among copper collectors, grading opinions vary from person to person, just as they do anywhere else. One of the things I like about the process with copper collectors is that they seem fairly non-defensive about opinions and ideas regarding their assessments of grades. In the end, this generates discussion, ideas, consideration of various points of view, and ultimately aids in reaching greater concensus.

Hoot

Thanks Hoot and Amanda. The more I learn about early copper, the more I like it.

I'm gonna have to get that Membership to EAC mailed off. I'm fully digital now with my credit card number memorized and since I can't do it online I keep putting it off.

--Jerry

Jerry,

Probably the most up-to-date early copper rarity ratings can be found in Jack Robinson's latest edition of CQR (Copper Quotes by Robinson) pricing guide. Jack published his latest edition which was released at the EAC convention last May. Jack also gives us his rarity rating by condition, or condition rarity rating for coins from Choice to Scudzy for each variety listed. Of course one may debate the accuracy of any published guide, but his research combines that of Noyes and Bland and is probably as accurate an update-to date as you will find published.

Get that EAC application off pronto! It's the best $25 you will spend thumbsup2.gif