• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

corrosion on copper

2 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have a Lg Cent that I may want to submit to NCS, but I know nothing about restoring coins. There is a red spot next to her chin that with 10x magnification, you can see a wee bit of pitting, which I assume is corrosion. Can this be repaired?

Lg1C_1821.jpgLg1C_1821corr.jpg

Also, the NGC's "No Grade" brochure says, "When corrosion is severe or unattractive, it will result in a no grade verdict." What qualifies as severe or unattractive? In my mind, that would be something that was burried in the ground for a 100 years. And in my mind, the red, black, and gold color on this coin is very attractive. Can you offer any guidelines?

The red spot on your coin could at best be reduced with professional conservation, but will unfortunately remain.

To determine if this coin would be a "no grade" with NGC grading, this coin would have to be seen in person.

Chris, NCS