• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

1907 Saint Gaudens Coin Identification

2 posts in this topic

I am in need of some advice on determining exactly what I have with two 1907 $20 Saint Gaudens. The first has Roman numerals and a high relief (given that ultra high reliefs are very rare) I assume this is a high relief. This coin also has large edge lettering which is inverted if you are looking at the edge with the obtuse up. The rim appears to be partially wire and partially flat on both obverse and reverse. The second is a 1907 with Arabic numberals and small edge lettering which again is inverted if looking at the edge with the obtuse up. The pattern of the edge letters is * * * * * * * E * I PLURIBUS I * UNUM * * * * *

Although I have read and looked at numerous reference sources for these coins I am not fully understanding how to determine if what I have are "business strikes", "proof strikes", etc.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

From your description, both coins are pieces issued for circulation and released to the sub-treasuries for distribution.

The piece with the Roman numeral date, MCMVII, was produced in late August-early September 1907 on orders from President Theodore Roosevelt. It took three separate blows of a medal press to bring up the design. Five hundred were struck at that time. By November, the mint had still not produced usable dies for coins that could be struck on ordinary production presses, so Roosevelt ordered more of the high relief pieces struck. These were made from November 23 through January 6, 1908. The total of all high relief production was 12,667. These bring in the low to mid-five figures at auction depending on condition if uncirculated.

The coin with the normal European date, 1907, was produced from about December 6 through the end of the month. This was made from new models supplied by the late artist’s Estate, and all were struck on normal production presses. If you compare details of the two coins, particularly Liberty’s gown, you can see where the mint’s engraver, Charles Barber, re-engraved parts of the low relief hub so that the coins could be produced in quantity.

You can find out about how these coins were designed and first produced in the book “Renaissance of American Coinage 1905-1908” by yours truly.