• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Mint Presidential $1 Coin e-Newsletter, Isuue 5 Feb 2007

6 posts in this topic

Hi, All

I just received this via email and I thought I would share it will all of you. Boy, looks like the US Mint is really trying to make a success of this program, your thoughts?

AAJ

United States Mint Presidential $1 Coin e-Newsletter, Issue 5 — February 2007

United States Mint Launches Business-to-Business Website

As the public release of the first Presidential $1 Coin draws near, the United States Mint announced today it launched a new business-to-business section of its Presidential $1 Coin website, https://materials.usmint.gov, where retailers and financial institutions may order or download free informational materials to educate customers and employees about the Presidential $1 Coin Program.

As previously reported here, the new Presidential $1 Coins are being introduced as a result of the Presidential $1 Coin Act of 2005, which requires the United States Mint to mint and issue dollar coins commemorating the service of former United States Presidents in the order in which they served. The first in the unique series of $1 coins features President George Washington and will be released on February 15, 2007.

According to a study commissioned by the United States Mint, about half of Americans asked are interested in collecting the Presidential $1 Coins, and many expect the coins to be available at retail locations and at financial institutions. Most people responded that they will be "checking their change" in order to collect specific coins. This new portion of the website is a key resource to help retailers and financial institutions prepare for the expected public demand for the Presidential $1 Coins.

Like the successful 50 State Quarters® Program, the United States Mint has developed a variety of informational materials about the Presidential $1 Coin Program for customers and employees including;

Brochure - a Color tri-fold, double-sided (3.623" x 8.5") brochure containing basic facts about the new $1 coins.

Release Schedule - Color gate-fold, double-sided (3.5" x 4"). Contains full Presidential $1 Coin release schedule through 2016 — a quick, pocket-sized reference guide.

Release Schedule Acrylic Display Holder - Clear acrylic holder for storing and displaying Presidential $1 Coin release schedule.

Informational "Take-One" - Color, double-sided (3.625" x 8.5") flyer containing key information about the new $1 coins.

Informational "Take-One" Acrylic Display Holder - Clear acrylic holder for storing and displaying Presidential $1 Coin Program informational flyers.

Collector Board - 2007 - Double-sided, color (2.5" x 8") board. Two-sided storage and coin display holder contains four coin inserts on one side and quick facts on our Nation's first four presidents on the other.

Bookmark - Double-sided (2" x 8") bookmark. Includes complete Presidential $1 Coin release schedule through 2016.

Program Tent Cards* - Color tri-fold (5.5" x 11" flat) tent cards with adhesive strip. Examples of use include display at teller windows, check-outs, in lobbies and other locations.

Presidential $1 Coin Training/Education Poster* - Color (11" x 17") poster, packaged in tube. Informational training poster for employees and students -- examples of use include break rooms and classrooms.

Presidential $1 Coin General Information Poster* - Color (11" x 17") poster, packaged in tube. To promote public awareness and availability of the Presidential $1 Coin -- examples of use include lobby locations, store windows, and classrooms.

Presidential $1 Coin Cling* - Color (3" x 4"). Durable door/window cling to promote public awareness and availability of the Presidential $1 Coin -- examples of use include building entrances and drive-up windows.

Presidential $1 Coin CD-Rom (Available Soon) - Contains web-based tutorial and computer-based presentation for employee training. Click here for download -- available February 5th.

* - subject to Informational Materials Terms of Use.

The United States Mint and the Federal Reserve System are working in partnership with the U.S. Department of the Treasury to make it easier for businesses and members of the general public to obtain the new coins as they are released. The Presidential $1 Coins will be shipped to banks and other financial institutions in rolls and small bags, unmixed with other dollar coins and available in minimum orders of $1,000 and $2,000, respectively. For each new design, banks may order and store the Presidential $1 Coins up to two weeks prior to the introduction so they will have supplies on hand on the release date. The $1 coins will be available unmixed for four weeks after the introduction of each design.

Each President will be honored with a single Presidential $1 Coin, regardless of the number of consecutive terms he served. Grover Cleveland, the only United States president to serve non-consecutive terms, will be honored on two coins. No living former or current President can be honored on a coin.

The designs of the coins are bold and dramatic, with traditional inscriptions featured on the edge. The edge lettering will prominently feature the inscriptions "E Pluribus Unum" and "In God We Trust," the year of minting or issuance, and the mint mark, making these coins unique among today's U.S. circulating coins.

The room in the cash draw is not the issue. Acceptance of coins over paper is the issue. I don't think the general public will accept the metal over the paper--paper is easier to carry and handle.

sign-rantpost.gif But I still think congress should get rid of the paper dollar and mint only a dollar coin!

But that's my lunacy! screwy.gif

Scott hi.gif

The room in the cash draw is not the issue. Acceptance of coins over paper is the issue. I don't think the general public will accept the metal over the paper--paper is easier to carry and handle.

Yes yes and no. Yes, there is room in the drawer, as most cash drawers have 5 slots for coins and 5 for bills. Yes, there's issues with the general public accepting coins - when I was a young'un and worked at a grocery store, I tried to give a woman a dollar coin once as change and she refused to take it, scoffing, and angrily told me to give her a paper bill.

No, I do not think paper is easier to carry and handle. I hate thumbing through my wallet to find the right bill, especially because pre-2004 bills are all the same color and even though I keep mine in order, it still takes a lot longer than it would to feel for a dollar coin in my pocket. Though I guess this is a personal taste thing, I think that a dollar coin would be much easier to handle.

Though I also think that our monetary system should be re-done, getting rid of the cent and 5-cent, and bringing back the quarter, half, [one], and double eagles. With actual artistic designs on them. 893whatthe.gif