• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Can Sacagawea Spots be removed?

2 posts in this topic

I've broken open a couple of US-Mint Uncirculated coin rolls. I wanted to find some nice coins to submit to be slabbed to add to my collection of proofs.

I've found about one coin in each roll with minimal marks , etc. The only thing is that some of them have light surface residue on them and tiny little needle-tip sized surface spots . Someone in another forum referred to them as carbon spots.

I'm wondering if it'd be worth submitting, if you guys can do anything with that, or if I should just save my money?

Thanks

Nick

Without seeing your coins, the best I could tell you is that very likely professional conservation would be able to help your coins. Based on similar coins we have received for conservation in the past, usually the white spots and haze can be removed. There is a type of spot that can not be safely removed since they were created before the coin was struck but these are far less common than the types of residue we can safely remove.

Chris, NCS