• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Grade Rarity and How it Fits In With Registry Point Allocation

3 posts in this topic

Is the rarity in population in a certain grade taken into consideration when determing the Registry Point Allocation? I believe that this should be an important factor, especially with coins 10 or more years from the issue date.

I've own a several NGC 70 Modern Commemoratives/Eagles and find in many cases I'm awarded 3+ times more points for coins that have a 70 population of 25%+ or in some cases even higher than another coin in the same demonation with a 70 population of less than 5%.

I'm looking at the rarity in grade based on a percentage basis. I own several coins that less than 3% to 5% were given the 70 designation given other coins where 25%+(in 70) have MUCH higher registry points. I'm aware that # of coins minted and other factors go into your decision, but it appears that the rarity in a certain grade designation is not weighted properly.

I would personally like own a coin were only 3% or less had the 70 designation, rather than a coin that has 25%+ graded in 70's. I can understand low balling newer issues because many additional coins may be submitted for grading. But this is not the case.

A good comparision the % in 70's in the $1 Liberty MS/PF70 against either the 2001 Buffalo or the 2002 confused.gifWest Point. The point spread seems a little flawed when a comparison is made. Just a thought for you pros to ponder. Thanks

• Member: Seasoned Veteran

Your point is valid. The scores for PF-70 coins were determined some time ago, before many of these pieces had been graded. As time permits, we will review the scoring based on the certified population and make some changes.