• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

POLL: If you HAD to sell your entire collection right now...

Would you be SCARED or OK with having to sell your entire collection off IMMEDIATELY?  

252 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be SCARED or OK with having to sell your entire collection off IMMEDIATELY?

18 posts in this topic

how many of you would be either SCARED or OK with it .. only in terms of finances that is (not sense of loss or whatever)?

It's ok to vote...no one will know what you actually vote for...

edited to define SCARED as in I'm afraid I'll lose money...

I wouldn't be scared. Stuff is just stuff. Money is just money. If I needed to raise money because a hurricane swept away my house and most of the town I lived in, I'd be inconvenienced but I'm not sure I'd be scared. Now, on the other hand, I might be scared if I needed to raise funds for a serious/risky medical condition for myself or one of my loved ones.

To put this in perspective, I know a number of people who have lost many of their possessions (as well as family members) when they had to become refugees during a war. I try to make sure I don't get too attached to things or money.

Mike, I’m not sure I understand the question. What would I be scared of? Not selling the coins high enough? Just generally scared that I need money? confused-smiley-013.gif

not selling your coins high enough.

Ah yes. That would be a concern. It would be particularly troublesome for me because I go to so few shows and know such a small network of folks. Compounding the issue is that many of my coins, I feel, would sell best in hand as opposed to a photo auction.

Ultimately I think I would be concerned yet ok with it. While coin collecting is one of my top two hobbies it is not one of my top ten priorities.

Not scared at all. Most of the coins I've kept for my personal collection are of nice quality (not just grade, but quality) or scarce enough that even in lower quality they'd sell well.

I'd also not be afraid to crack most of them out of their slab before selling. smile.gif

I'm not scared at all. Probably 80% of my coins are un-certified, but you know what? If I lose money on them (or my heirs do), I don't care, because I've gotten immeasurable pleasure and satisfaction out of enjoying them. The financial considerations are very secondary (at best) for me.

"Had to sell" AND "forced" to sell conotate different meanings to me as My Ultimate goal is to sell, hence my registry items names "MRB_RETIREMENT", so if I had to sell it would be good ( I was retiring )

Forced to sell would not be good as some of the above stated reasons SO I would LOAN out my collection as collateral for a loan to ease through whatever problem may have arisen so in a more SUNNY day with more time you can get your ultimate good sale on your Collection and not HAVE to FORCE sell for less ..

Does that make sense ...hm

Again this is a very vague question with no real answer with out knowing certain aspects of your life that were affected and why and to whom it affects.

hehe

I'm not scared at all. Probably 80% of my coins are un-certified, but you know what? If I lose money on them (or my heirs do), I don't care, because I've gotten immeasurable pleasure and satisfaction out of enjoying them. The financial considerations are very secondary (at best) for me.

I agree wholeheartedly--well, except for the 80% slabbed part; all of mine are now unslabbed.

thumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gifthumbsup2.gif

Chris

not afraid the coins are worth what they are worth

when i need to sell them

such is life

win some lose some but make sure every buyer gets a good fair deal and full disclosure..........

Not scared. I primarily buy multiple US Mint and Proof sets from the Mint each year and also fill holes in Dansco albums out of circulation. The great majority of the Mint purchased stuff is worth less than I paid but the occaisional set that takes off evens me out. Can't loose on the stuff out of circulation.