• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Coins for outside the States

5 posts in this topic

The US Mint has made many coins for use outside of areas that are states of the union. Some of these are for different countries such as France and Equador. Others, however, are for use by the US including:

Trade Dollars: outside the US, in China

Filipinas Centavos/Pesos: in the US Philippines

Both US Trade Dollars and US Filipinas Centavos/Pesos have "United States of America" on them.

Are there other coins created by the US Mint for US use outside of the states that say "United States of America" on them? Are there any known patterns for the US Filipinas Centavos/Pesos coins?

Thanks Scott. That's an interesting article. My impression is that when the US Mint makes coins for another country it's generally just an outsourced provider, like when the British Royal Mint and the Franklin Mint have made legal tender coins for other countries. For the most part you would be hard pressed to tell where the coins were made from just looking at the coins. Some of the US-made coins have a Mint Mark and one of the Equador coins even has "PHILA. USA" spelled out. However, they do not say "United States of America" and are not intended to represent US currency (albeit in areas outside the "states"). Perhaps the Trade Dollars and Filipina Centavos/Pesos are the only ones?

I believe you're correct: the Trade Dollar and the Filipinas coins are the only US coins intended to circulate outside the US that say "USA" on them.

Well there are the Sac dollars that we exported to Ecuador at their request, and back in I believe it was 1834 there was a request from either Venezuela or Brazil for a shipment of about one million US cents for use as circulation coins.