• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

US Mint Price changes announcement

11 posts in this topic

I didn't see this info on the forum anywhere, so I thought I'd post it FYI:

From the US mint's website:

Question

Why has the price of some products been changed?

Answer

You may notice price changes on some of our recurring products this year. These changes, both increases and decreases, can be attributed to several factors:

* Many of our annual sets have grown to include Presidential $1 Coins.

* The cost of the base metals that make up many of our coins has increased significantly over the past several years.

* Opportunities have been identified to increase customer value by reducing product prices where possible.

Below is a list of current product prices, followed by the change from last year's price.

* United States Mint Proof Set® - $26.95 (+$4.00)

* United States Mint Silver Proof SetTM - $44.95 (+$7.00)

* United States Mint 50 State Quarters Proof SetTM - $13.95 (-$2.00)

* United States Mint 50 State Quarters Silver Proof SetTM - $25.95 (+$2.00)

* United States Mint Uncirculated Set® - $22.95 (+$6.00)

* Golden Dollar 250-Coin Bag - $319.95 (-$27.05)

* Golden Dollar 25-Coin Roll - $35.95 (+$0.45)

* 50 State Quarters 1,000-Coin Bag - $309.95 (+$9.95)

* 50 State Quarters 100-Coin Bag - $32.95 (-$2.55)

* 50 State Quarters Two-Roll Set - $32.95 (+$0.95)

* Kennedy Half-Dollar 200-Coin Bag - $130.95 (-$4.05)

* Kennedy Half-Dollar Two-Roll Set - $32.95 (-$2.55)

* 50 State Quarters First Day Coin Covers - $14.95 (-$5.00)

* Collecting America's Coins: Beginner Basics - $11.95 (-$2.55)

50 State Quarters First Day Coin Covers - $14.95 (-$5.00)

Now I'm 893censored-thumb.gif! I have a complete set I bought at the $19.95 price. Now they've reduced all of the cover, not just the new ones, to the lower price... 893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif893censored-thumb.gif!!

I understand the price change for the sets because of the inclusion of the new dollar coins, but to retroactively change these prices are 893whatthe.gif!!

Ok... I will calm down... breathe easy... relax... sleeping.gif

Scott boo.gif

Notice this:

You can buy either 80 or 100 state quarters for the exact same price. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

So, are US Mint coin wrappers worth such a premium? screwy.gif

Notice this:

You can buy either 80 or 100 state quarters for the exact same price. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I don't think the mint actually looks at premium as it probably just cost more to wrap than to throw in a bag. confused-smiley-013.gif

I dunno ... I still think that the prices on the dollar coins are way out of line. I talked with our local coin club president and he says he's going to take orders at our next meeting and just place an order with his bank, and he has a friend on the other side of the country who'll do the same so that we can have both P and D mintmarks without paying 40% over face.

Well I hve subscriptions for the annual sets and that's going to be my extent of collecting them. I don't really focus on values as much as I do just being able to complete my proof sets.

Notice this:

It's the case with any retail operation, the larger the bulk the cheaper it is per unit because there's less packaging involved. The Mint is just another retail operation applying the same standards.

Scott hi.gif

Hi, Michael

Thanks for the information. I haven't seen it until your post here. thumbsup2.gif

What jumped out at me from this list is:United States Mint Silver Proof SetTM - $44.95 (+$7.00)! 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I guess the president dollar coins will NOT be minted in silver in this set! frown.gif

AAJ

I guess the president dollar coins will NOT be minted in silver in this set! frown.gif

Business strikes are not going to be minted in a silver-colored metal, so it would make sense they would not be minted in silver for the sets.

Scott hi.gif

* Opportunities have been identified to increase customer value by reducing product prices where possible.

Translation: We are going up in price on popular stuff and lowering prices on stuff that does not sell.

MM 893blahblah.gif