• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What do you think about this coin?

13 posts in this topic

Looks suspicous, but hard to tell much from that pic. Do you have it in hand, or are you thinking of buying? Personally, I would pass, unless perhaps it is a proof, for it has the look of a coin that was once heavily toned, then harshly cleaned.

I agree that the coin doesn’t look right. I would pass.

Nice spam James thumbsup2.gif. I like the new look of your site but the gold section is a little sparse. Those prices listed are “non-member” prices right? wink.gif

I agree that the coin doesn’t look right. I would pass.

Nice spam James thumbsup2.gif. I like the new look of your site but the gold section is a little sparse.

27_laughing.gif Yeah, I'll need to do something about that. My "paper money" section is REALLY REALLY sparse - basically non-existent 893whatthe.gif!

Those prices listed are “non-member” prices right? wink.gif

Correct. Members pay higher prices 27_laughing.gif.

... but seriously, the coin I posted is 100% unquestionably original and never messed with. The opening post depicts a coin that appears to me to have either altered surfaces, or a very weird imaging technique. Common barber quarters in this grade range are plentiful enough in original grades that I wouldn't recommend bothering with a questionable one.

Great insight on this coin. As a newbie I've been wracking (or wacking) my brain trying to identify the different characteristics of various coins and posts like this are very helpful.

James, I'm so impressed with your photo and editing skills. And by the way, what is the link to your website? Thanks Mike

Great insight on this coin. As a newbie I've been wracking (or wacking) my brain trying to identify the different characteristics of various coins and posts like this are very helpful.

James, I'm so impressed with your photo and editing skills. And by the way, what is the link to your website? Thanks Mike

Please there is ONLY and I mean ONLY Wracking here - I say NO Wacking NO Wacking going on here in this forum ...

The image makes it appear to have been dipped and/or cleaned because of the dirt or toning partially retained within the letters. It also appears to have hairlines going horizontally across the portrait on the obverse. The images are poor, but the coin definitely looks to have negative eye appeal.

I agree...I don't know a whole lot about this series, but from what I've learned from getting a type set together, this piece looks to have been cleaned at some point. It's sort of tough to tell how abrasively from the pics.