• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

18th century copper with monster luster?

7 posts in this topic

The pictures of American 18th century copper I've seen don't have a lot of luster. There are, however, 18th century Conder tokens with lots of luster (monster luster?) which look amazing IMO. Are there any examples of American 18th century copper with lots of luster?

The pictures of American 18th century copper I've seen don't have a lot of luster. There are, however, 18th century Conder tokens with lots of luster (monster luster?) which look amazing IMO. Are there any examples of American 18th century copper with lots of luster?

Quite a few, actually. A good place to start would be with Kentucky tokens. There are many brilliant RED coins in existence with phenomenal luster. Also, check out some of the well-preserved Rosa Americana coins. Don't forget about Virginia coppers, either. Many of those are RED to this very day.

I once jointly owned an absolutely mind-boggling Mott token with Morgan-dollar-like cartwheels on both sides, and have seen others that were very nice, which is remarkable considering how bad the die that struck those coins were.

Of course, one may not consider these "American" coins, but since they fall under the categories of "Colonial copper", I personally accept them as such.

Regarding Conder tokens, you should keep in mind that at least some of these pieces were made in limited runs for collectors and feature PL surfaces.

A good place to start would be with Kentucky tokens.
i

The "Kentucky token" is a Conder token.

One of the major reasons the Conder tokens come with such superior luster compared to the US copper is because a great many of them were struck at much higher pressure using steam powered presses.

A good place to start would be with Kentucky tokens.
i

The "Kentucky token" is a Conder token.

One of the major reasons the Conder tokens come with such superior luster compared to the US copper is because a great many of them were struck at much higher pressure using steam powered presses.

...in Europe.

There is most certainly 18th century copper with monster luster, only it is usually very expensive, and rarely makes its way to auction. There are a few hoards of 18th century copper that include some amazing coins, so they do exist, just not in the numbers that conder tokens do.

My sense it is two things that cause the perception that 18th century copper is less prevalent than conder tokens with monster luster.

First, the numbers of mint state coins is far larger for conder tokens.

Second, as Conder points out, the tokens were oftens struck "across the pond" on better presses.

Third, conder tokens were much more likely to be saved than old US copper, which was used in commerce.

All IMHO...Mike