• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Coin inventory program

27 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of a program that can be used to keep an inventory of your coins? I know I can use Excel, but I was wondering if there was something that you could check the coins that you have and enter the certification numbers if the coin is graded.

Thanks

I agree, CoinManage 2007 is a great program. I just catalogued all of my coins with it, and it is excellent.

One word of warning though. DO NOT mess with the images that coinmanage stores in the image directory. If you want to modify one, reimport it. I learned the hard way, but had a good backup.

The ability to have multiple collections is superb, and you can drag and drop coins from one collection to another without re-entering data or photos.

Example: I keep a "Loose Coins" collection for single coins not in albums. Lets say I want to upgrade a coin into my "Dansco 7070" collection. I simply put the new coin into the database, and just drag the one that was in the 7070 over to "loose coin". The photo and all the other info moves with it....

One other thing is that the backup utility will just keep adding backups to the backup folder, so you need to manually clean it out every so often.

Well worth 49 bux, and all the data you enter into the demo will stay there if you decide to buy....

As for your question about certifications, it even has a place to enter the barcode, so you can look up the coin by scanning the labels barcode. A very cool addition....

MM thumbsup2.gif

Since CoinManage is a Windoze program, and I try to avoid Windoze as much as possible because of its lack of security, does anyone know of an inventory program that will run on a Mac?

Scott hi.gif

Since CoinManage is a Windoze program, and I try to avoid Windoze as much as possible because of its lack of security, does anyone know of an inventory program that will run on a Mac?

Scott hi.gif

Do you run any programs under "Virtual PC" and If so how do they run ???

Coinmange Produces an EXE file that will make it run under that .

" Does CoinManage work on the MacIntosh

CoinManage will work under Virtual PC on the MacIntosh. We do not currently have plans to create a native MacIntosh version. It's hard to write good Mac applications and we don't have the expertise for this at present. To use the program under Virtual PC, we have to email you a special EXE file after you purchase

Virtual PC on a PowerPC-based Mac, which is what I have, is painfully slow. I am not planning on buying a new machine for at least another year. Oh well... as long as the market for Macs has been rising, they are going to miss a good market.

Call to arms for coin software managers... if you come up with a program for the Mac, I know at least one person (me) who will buy it!

Scott hi.gif

Scott hi.gif

I am in IT, and it amazes me at how scared people are of someone maybe hacking into their PC. (A very unlikley thing on a private PC on the average cable or DSL network)

Yet they do not give a second thought to the fact that a dumb burglar can simply break out a window and have ALL of your info by lifting the machine and turning it on.

We too many times worry about the wrong things.

Example: Most worry about being in a plane crash, yet think nothing of going down the road in a car to the 7-11. Yet, tens of thousands are killed on the road each year, while the average number of deaths in the US in planes is around 80 for the last 10 years (commercial flights).

OR:

People cringe at putting their credit card info on the internet for ordering, yet will go to the local Denny's and hand some complete stranger their card to pay for a meal. I would much rather put my info on a secure server than let a restaurant employee hired yesterday have it.

And, I hate to bust your bubble, but BOTH Windows and Macs can be hacked into, but most people allow it by being stupid and downloading everything they see free on the internet, or turning their kids loose to surf. The main reason windows is more vulnerable is that is what the hackers know and the most common, not because Macs are more secure.

MM thumbsup2.gif

Scott hi.gif

I am in IT, and it amazes me at how scared people are of someone maybe hacking into their PC. (A very unlikley thing on a private PC on the average cable or DSL network)

Sorry, MM. I do information security for a living and have been published in a couple of books, including one for the Certified Information Security Systems Professionals (CISSP) and have written on the risks involved with these machines. I have done some lecturing and have been an expert witness in infosec-related court cases. I think I know a little bit about this area.

The current estimate is about 40% of personal machines have been "hacked" either through email or unsafe programming on the web. Most of these machines are using some sort of spyware to steal your identity or to use your machines as a bot to attack others. Personal systems are a big target since they are not as protected as corporate systems and most users are not savvy enough to provide the proper protections.

If you are using Windows 2000 or XP with Internet Explorer or any version of Outlook without a properly configured firewall (the built-in XP firewall does not cut it), updated anti-virus programs, anti-spyware program, anti-popup program, and have turned off any unnecessary services (do you really need telnet, a web server, or ODBC running? Do you know what ODBC is?), your system is likely to have some sort of spyware on it. The problem is that most anti-virus and anti-spyware programs do not know about the latest swarm of spyware.

How's your firewall? Do you have one on the DSL/Cable router? Is it active? If not, why not? If it is active, is it properly configured? Do you know if port 139 is accessible from the Internet? Do you know why it's important for port 139 to be blocked from the Internet? What about ports 7, 9, and 19? These ports are probably not blocked if you don't have at least the XP built-in firewall turned on. Do you know how to turn them off?

Oh yea... have wireless? Do you have the wireless properly configured for 802.11g? If you do not know what properly configured means, it is likely you could have been hacked wirelessly. War driving, people driving around neighborhoods looking for open wireless systems, is still a popular way to hack into machines. Since my house is wired, I don't use wireless. But when I turn on the wireless for fun, I can see eight networks, 3-4 are not properly protected. And you Centrino users, fuggetaboutit! The Centrino uses 802.11b standard, which I have a program that can crack that "protection" within 15 minutes.

When I teach infosec classes, I show my students how easy it is to find and hack personal systems, not corporate systems. Scans are easily done without raising alarms and most people do not know how to lock down their systems properly. Microsoft would rather reduce their help desk calls than give you a secure system--and the illegal hackers out there count on this and users not being knowledgeable enough to fix their systems. While I do not do anything in front of the class, I show them how easy it is to discover the vulnerabilities.

Sorry, MorganMan, the Mac is easier to lock down without requiring a degree in computer science while not affecting the user experience. My mother did it and she's an artist! And there is very little I cannot do on my Mac including MS Office, which I run with macros turned off!

If you have any other questions or comments, send them using PM since this is getting off topic for this thread.

Scott hi.gif

Been using CoinManage for 2 years, and I have never had a problem. Nice interface, and nice report generators. The backup utility has been very helpful. Good luck.

This is a really nice program.

Coin Elite

For most folks a simple spread sheet works just fine.

It's really a matter of how much time you wish to spend keeping it up to date. Having a system of knowing that you added it to the sheet or program is important. If you decide on a program just don't depend on support when you need it most. Keep a backup of everything you don't wish to rebuild. I keep a CYA file on everything just for that one time I need it. I hate rebuilding. I need that time to enjoy the hobby smile.gif

I still like my Pro-Coin program. It's about 35.00. It has a completed database that you also get "free" updates that include coin and values. It has "user defined coin" section to add your special collectibles. It has a back-up utility. Personally I've used it for about a yr now and it works great for me.

link

Did you guys know that Steve Jobs has to write a check to Bill Gates for every iPod sold?

MSFT p!sses me off more and more. Apparently with Windows Vista, the only thing you'll be able to do when it comes to media is press play and enter your credit card number.

Threre's also rumors that if you install 'naughty' programs like DVD Shrink to a Vista PC, the PC will 'phone home' to MSFT and they will shut your OS down.

Back on Topic: Do any of the programs mentioned include a way to track trasnactions for each coin?

For example Coin #123 has the follwoing transactions...

1) Purchase including seller contact info, date, and price

2) Shipping fee for original pruchase is needed.

3) Grading Service cost

4) Grading shipping costs

That way you can know the complete cost of ownership for each coin.

I guess I could just write something in Access....

Did you guys know that Steve Jobs has to write a check to Bill Gates for every iPod sold?

I am trying to back out of this discussion, so I will just correct this statement...

Apple does not pay a royalty to Microsoft for every iPod sold! The dispute was over a patent that Apple filed late, after the first iPod was released and after Microsoft filed a similar patent two months earlier. Microsoft and Apple settled the "dispute" quietly.

The issue became moot on the release of the 3G iPod. Apple changed to the click wheel interface that had nothing to do with the original patent filing and is no longer relevant to the patent filing.

Scott hi.gif

MSFT p!sses me off more and more. Apparently with Windows Vista, the only thing you'll be able to do when it comes to media is press play and enter your credit card number.

Threre's also rumors that if you install 'naughty' programs like DVD Shrink to a Vista PC, the PC will 'phone home' to MSFT and they will shut your OS down.

Back on Topic: Do any of the programs mentioned include a way to track trasnactions for each coin?

For example Coin #123 has the follwoing transactions...

1) Purchase including seller contact info, date, and price

2) Shipping fee for original pruchase is needed.

3) Grading Service cost

4) Grading shipping costs

That way you can know the complete cost of ownership for each coin.

I guess I could just write something in Access....

Coin Elite will keep track om most of this and also has a memo field for information.

It also will keep info if you sell it. smile.gif

Apple does not pay a royalty to Microsoft for every iPod sold!

Interesting... I'll take your word for it.... I really don't care one way or the other... grin.gif

It's just that I remember back when I was a programmer teenage nerd and I used an Atari 1450, my buddy used a Commodore 64, another buddy used a TRS-80, and the fourth guy used an Apple IIc.... nobody could share anything with anyone.

Yout think this conversation has gotten out of hand? Try going to CruiseCritic.com and say something like "Children should not be allowed on board" or something like that. THEN you'll see a forum cat fight! smile.gif

BACK ON TOPIC.........

Here is a screen shot from CoinManage about the questions you asked. There is also a notebook to add other expenses to each coin.

cmscnshot.jpg

MM cool.gif