• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Didn't know if I should laugh or cry...

23 posts in this topic

... when I received this coin back from PCGS. The only coin in the bunch that graded a tad bit "off." One sweet piece that I snagged in-the-raw a couple of years ago at ANA San Francisco. It's been sitting in my velvet tray ever since. For some strange reason, 1916 is one of my favorite dates for buffalo nickels. It's a transitional year (type 2 to type 3 for the hard-core) and finding colorful and lustrous, well-struck pieces is a challenge. The coin shown is a MDS piece, well struck but just a tad bit short of full in the central obverse. There are no marks that are noteworthy. The color is amazing and the scan captures that but not the luster. Anyway, it's been a while since I've posted a buff... Enjoy -

1604258-1916Buff5cMS64PCGS05-168.JPG

Hoot

1604258-1916Buff5cMS64PCGS05-168.JPG.e29b896a3d614328068413abf9ce3f0d.JPG

64 - Could have been worse, eh? yeahok.gif It's a 65 on a bad day and a 66 on any other day. In-hand, it's quite a nice piece. I've had this happen before, where either the coin was downgraded for the toning or BB'd. Oh well, it's going in my set no matter what the grade is, and will revisit PCGS for appearance review one day, but not soon.

Hoot

acclaim.gif Gorgeous coin regardless! acclaim.gif

I can''t tell from the scans how lustrous the coin is, but looks to have gem (65+) or better surfaces and color. If you're that distressed, my sense is it graded 64 or lower.

However, your reaction, that a TPG would "miss it" on a coin, is a bit puzzling -- I thought all you EAC guys held them in contempt and this wouldn't come as a surprise. wink.gif

Have fun and thanks for sharing...Mike

Anyway, it's been a while since I've posted a buff... Enjoy -

It has been too long! Laugh, and the whole world laughs with you. Looks like a very nice coin to me.

Hoot, in trying to guess why PCGS might have assigned the grade they did....

I'll point to the apparent flatness (stacking friction?) above the Buffalo's left hind leg, another area above and slightly to the right of that one (left of the top of the tail), and a few similar, though more subtle areas on the obverse. Regardless of the grade, it looks very attractive and appealing to me.

Oooh, a buffalo! grin.gif

I like it. smile.gif

The obverse especially. That sort of soft champagne is my favorite look on a buffalo.

If I remember right, the transition you are talking about has to do with LIBERTY, strengthening the die details.

The toning on the reverse looks different from the toning on the obverse, but that could be the picture.

I would agree that 64 sounds low for this coin, the strike is rather nice for the date and you say the lustre is great. The tail area looks flat, though.

But who cares about the plastic. tongue.gif It's a nice coin! grin.gif

Thanks for sharing!

-Amanda

PS- Out of curiosity, which side was down on the felt?

Gorgeous buffalo Hoot! I love the color. It's a great coin smile.gif

Thanks for mentioning the flat areas (as well as the term "stacking friction") Mark and Amanda.

Well Hoot, I'm sure your first reaction was not to laugh or cry to to purse your lips and mumble a few dastardly expletives, I know I would have.

The strike and toning definetly capture the artistry of a time since past.

That's a wonderful Buffalo in any holder and in any grade, preserved for timeless enjoyment.

Thanks for sharing. thumbsup2.gif

Note: Does everybody know what you are referring to when using abbreviations like MDS in the narrative?

I'll point to the apparent flatness (stacking friction?) above the Buffalo's left hind leg, another area above and slightly to the right of that one (left of the top of the tail), and a few similar, though more subtle areas on the obverse. Regardless of the grade, it looks very attractive and appealing to me.

I agree with this. I have a 25-S that has a similar look on the hip. No circ marks but rubbed.

Great piece though...wanna sell? devil.gif

jom

Does everybody know what you are referring to when using abbreviations like MDS in the narrative?

Of course! What do you take us for? A bunch of dummies?................................metal detector souvenir

Chris

Does everybody know what you are referring to when using abbreviations like MDS in the narrative?

Of course! What do you take us for? A bunch of dummies?................................metal detector souvenir

Chris

27_laughing.gif

Thanks for all the replies, and since Chris won't give away the right answer, I simply must: MDS = middle die state. sorry.gif

As for the idea of stacking friction, perhaps this is the right answer, however, I'm not so convinced with the coin in-hand. The luster of the flat areas (high points of the Indian's hair, horn, edge of the shoulder nape, and tail of the bison) is equal to that elsewhere on the coin when viewed in person. The problem that I face (and always have) is that I don't want to take the time to make a good photography setup, so I scan. tongue.gif Scans simply exaggerate many things - nicks, flat spots, flat vs. reflective points, etc. On the scan, what appears flat in terms of luster just looks that way due to the incident of light (&c.) of a flatbed scanner. However, what you have astutely pointed out is what I did not in the first place, which are the areas on the coin of incomplete strike. So, I glassed the coin more carefully, and indeed it has less of a strike than I first stated, which may also affect the market grade.

Like each of you have said, the coin stands on its own merits and I could really care less about the grade.

Amanda - the color of the reverse shows much better in the scan than that of the obverse. The obverse has much more vivid colors in person, although they are more diffuse than the concentric pattern of the reverse. While the coin sat in my velvet tray, I turned it while looking at it every now and then. This was in a relatively cool spot, and in Montana, where it's fairly dry. confused-smiley-013.gif

I'm off for a trip to the spa 893scratchchin-thumb.gif and will be back in a few days. hi.gif

Hoot

64 - Could have been worse, eh? yeahok.gif It's a 65 on a bad day and a 66 on any other day. In-hand, it's quite a nice piece. I've had this happen before, where either the coin was downgraded for the toning or BB'd. Oh well, it's going in my set no matter what the grade is, and will revisit PCGS for appearance review one day, but not soon.

Hoot

This sounds like a typical politically-motivated grade. The coin's a gem no matter how you look at it. If your name would have been Her(*cough*)itage, maybe PCGS would have graded the coin properly.

I bet NGC would grade it correctly.