• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Beautiful Coin Specimens Glued to fabric backing in display frame..

4 posts in this topic

I've inherited a coin display set that contains a 1907S Barber half,1920 Pilgrim, 1925 Stone Mountain, 1926 Oregon Trail, 1935 California Pacific Expo, 1923 Monroe, 1936 Canada Dollar, and lastly a 1939 Nickel. All showing no wear. My problem is that they were mounted to a black fabric backing with some type of adhesive. This display was very old and it looks as though the black color from the fabric has leached onto the coins as well as the adhesive in the center of the coins. My question is...with coins such as these, what is the expected outcome from conservation? Is there any chance that they could be made acceptable for grading? I may have the cart before the horse here with this question, seeing as how I mailed the 1907S Barber to NCS yesterday, but any predictions on the final results would make the waiting easier, hm.

It is likely we would be able to remove glue from the surfaces of your coins. The black marks you mention may be a different story. How successful we might be in removing those would depend on what exactly is causing them. I am really not sure what might be the cause based on your description. I would certainly be able to give you more information once your Barber arrives at NCS.

Chris, NCS

Hello Chris. My package containing my 1907S Barber Half and a 1916 Standing Liberty Quarter with PVC was delivered to you guys on Jan 26. I am very interested in finding out if you can work some magic on the Barber. I have at least 6 other coins off of the same display set in comparable condition, hm.

One problem that is often encountered with the coins that have been mounted in those framed coin boards is that they are often coins with surface problems to begin with. Many times the coins placed into these frames are coins that have been improperly cleaned or suffered some sort of environmental damage. Compounded with that is that the materials used in those holders in decades past were often not the most archival. As a result a coin that is improperly cleaned can also be adversely affected by the chemicals in the holder resulting in a coin that can be ugly to even mildly environmentally damaged.

Chris, NCS