• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

It has been reported that PCGS submissions dropped 20% for 2nd quarter of 2006!

18 posts in this topic

Hi, All

I received this information from an Internet trade newsletter, Retailers Express, reporting the following interesting news! What is happening? confused-smiley-013.gif Your thoughts? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"Collectors Universe reported the total number of items submitted to the company for grading and authentication declined for the second quarter of the company’s fiscal year (ended DEC. 31, 2006).

The primary reason for the company’s overall decline in the number of submissions came from PCGS coin grading division, where submissions dropped by more than 20 percent to 281,400 units. That represented 43 percent of the units graded and authenticated."

AAJ

I think the submissions went to NGC instead. When PCGS refuses to grade coins correctly, even the kool aid drinkers have enough. Call it kool aid intoxication. makepoint.gif

TRUTH

oh my

my mymy my my my my my my my my my

well the more important thing is what are the profits for 2006 comapired to 2005? and how are the show grading 100/200 per coin numbers the last year??????

Could it be Tulving no longer submitting moderns to PCGS?

Is he an NGC guy now??

People were saying he was sick, so perhaps he is not submitting right now. I'm not sure.

Are people really that bitter at PCGS to take snipes w/o any backing of proof?

Reasons that the submissions might be down (and I could be missing some):

* Overall submissions in the industry are down (how are the others doing?)

* PCGS raised fees, made the membership less enticing, etc

* Major submitters not submitting for various reasons (as Greg said, what about Tulving and the reason why? Health?)

* The little submitters made up a larger amount than thought and were chased away with the new PCGS policies last year?

People talk about the "kool aide" for PCGS yet turn right around and act like they are drinking NGC "kool aid" or "anti-PCGS kool aid"

Why not just be objective instead of so negative?

IT'S ALL KOOL AID ' do the math 281.400 quarter or 12wks or 23,450 per wk.Take 40 into 23,450 thats 585 coins graded per hr OK Let give them 50 graders 11+ coins per or under 6 MINUTES PER COIN.its more like 25 graders and 3min a coin.This is if they just do coins and nothing else.KOOL AID KOOL AID 6MIN FOR $25.00 NOT BAD.

One born every min are you one

IT'S ALL KOOL AID ' do the math 281.400 quarter or 12wks or 23,450 per wk.Take 40 into 23,450 thats 585 coins graded per hr OK Let give them 50 graders 11+ coins per or under 6 MINUTES PER COIN.its more like 25 graders and 3min a coin.This is if they just do coins and nothing else.KOOL AID KOOL AID 6MIN FOR $25.00 NOT BAD.

The number of graders is a fraction of 25 and the time taken to grade the coins averages far less than 3 minutes per coin. It is widely known that graders take seconds, not minutes to grade coins. In the large majority of cases, that is an adequate amount of time.

A large percentage of the coins graded are likely bulk submissions. I believe that PCGS counts all the coins submitted, not just the ones slabbed as "coins being graded".

3 minutes for a coin would be overkill. More likely 5-10 seconds for most coins.

Submissions of million coins per year to any TPG is way, way excessive to me anyway. It surely must be moderns comprising the hugest bulk of these coins, and perhaps the alleged 20% decline reflects waning interest in moderns? I really don't have any idea.

Many large-scale bulk moderns seem to be going to NGC. I assume those numbers include coins that don't get a grade but just something that says "Gem Uncirculated" as well.

I don't know if it is due to declining interest, but if you look at the PCGS pop report for moderns, there appears to be a decline in the number graded the last couple of years. This could be caused by many things, but waning interest is clearly a possibility.

Also, the fact that PCGS raised prices, are cranking out PF70s at a large rate, and PF69s are frequently not worth the cost of slabbing, I can understand why this would have an effect on submission levels.

People talk about the "kool aide" for PCGS yet turn right around and act like they are drinking NGC "kool aid" or "anti-PCGS kool aid"

Well NGC did send me a Mug,,, confused-smiley-013.gif

Hi, All

I received this information from an Internet trade newsletter, Retailers Express, reporting the following interesting news! What is happening? confused-smiley-013.gif Your thoughts? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

"Collectors Universe reported the total number of items submitted to the company for grading and authentication declined for the second quarter of the company’s fiscal year (ended DEC. 31, 2006).

The primary reason for the company’s overall decline in the number of submissions came from PCGS coin grading division, where submissions dropped by more than 20 percent to 281,400 units. That represented 43 percent of the units graded and authenticated."

AAJ

serves them right, those *spoon* insane.gifinsane.gifinsane.gif

Maybe you guys don't remember last year when turnaround time was two to three months.

That put alot of hurt on submitters

I quit submiting form last January til Nov

They can bit me for the time they lost.

Glen